Decoding rear end tag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decoding rear end tag?

I am trying to figure out if I have 2.73 or the 3.08 Traction Lok. I have the tag... it literally fell off when I touched it, but I can BARELY read it, and I am hoping someone can help me.

Numbers -

Looks like V033A on the top row
    and 8 5L22 on the bottom... I really can't see it too well.

I am assuming that it has a 3.08 mainly because it don't feel like a 2.73, I had 2.73 in my 305 Camaro I had, and it was slower than a frozen sloth.
    '97 Cadillac Catera - 3.0 DOHC V6, 75k
    Soon... Any '95+ Panther!
    CLICK ME! Parts For Sale, SUPER CHEAP!!!

O / L /gear ratio
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55

might also try using a wire wheel to clean up the tag and then put a piece of paper over it and do a rubbing of the tag
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Just look at the sticker on the drivers door and use the chart above the code will be by ax on the sticker z code is a trak loc 3.08 btw

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by BGoins12 View Post
        I am trying to figure out if I have 2.73 or the 3.08 Traction Lok. I have the tag... it literally fell off when I touched it, but I can BARELY read it, and I am hoping someone can help me.

Numbers -

Looks like V033A on the top row
        and 8 5L22 on the bottom... I really can't see it too well.

I am assuming that it has a 3.08 mainly because it don't feel like a 2.73, I had 2.73 in my 305 Camaro I had, and it was slower than a frozen sloth.
        Umm...
        Lemme try my majik.
        Top line- The V033A is saying that it was made in the Van Dyke plant. The bottom line should have started with an extra "0". I'll bet you find out that you left the "0" on the rear end. Assuming that, the 3A08 means you have a 3.08, open diff. If it sed 3L08 you would have a locker. The 5L22 means it was made in 1985, Nov. 22. Yeah, I know L is the 12th letter of the alphawhatever, but they dint use i. That was the Friday before Thanksgiving. Amazing your rear end still works.
        Last edited by pstrbrc; 05-15-2010, 08:36 PM.
        '84 Grand Marquis
        Damn thing just keeps runnin'!

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important." T.S. Elliot

Comment

Working...
        X