Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

torque converter install

My B&M converter arrived today
    Has anyone here changed the converter before in an AOD? Is this straight forward or can it be difficult? Any handy tips would be appreciated. The engine is out of the car, but the trans is not.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

pop and swap. Just make sure the converter is fully seated on all 3 sets of splines. You'll have to rotate it to get it engaged, you'll feel when it drops in fully. Also, drain the converter out before you pull it, or the trans blood will go everywhere. Theres a drain plug on the front of the stock converter.
    Last edited by gadget73; 07-14-2010, 08:15 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Look up the install depth on the net that way you know how far in the bellhousing the converter will be when fully seated.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

well you drop trans. drain all fluid, take new converter put 4qts of mercv in install on trans spin around a couple of time it should click into place , make sure converter is all the way back, put safty wire across trans so converter doesnt fall out, install trans make sure to cut wire befor you mate trans to block . yup fairly staright forward, oh yeah youll need 15 qts of merc v tranny fluid
        doh i didnt read that engine was outta the car, yup just drain all you fluid, put 4 qts in converter, and install
        Last edited by zoomie; 07-15-2010, 10:52 PM.
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

B&M recommends adding one quart to the converter then install it. If i do this how will the rest of the fluid get in the converter with out damaging it? If i fill the converter with more than a quart wont it spill out?

Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall

Comment

ive always just put in like 4 qt's before I but mine in.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

Thanks for the tips! Once i get the converter in, it will be time to install the HO.

Comment

Don't use a hammer. Don't ask me how I know, either!
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                X