erratic clicking noise under acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its much easier with a vise.

Fair warning, some trans fluid might puke out of the tailshaft once you pull the driveshaft out. It wouldn't be a bad idea to stick a catch pan underneath just in case. I'd probably spring for a new seal while you've got the driveshaft out. They're a couple bucks and very simple to install.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What's the seal called?
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

tailshaft seal
        i use 2 blocks of wood and a hammer to change u joints

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

How do you change it? Just yank the old one out with a pick or something?
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

putty knife, flathead screwdriver and a hammer......pry the seal out a little with the hammer and the putty knife then use the screwdriver to pry it out

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Will it just be in there staring back at me when I pull the driveshaft?
              sigpic

Comment

12 point sockets were behind the counter at the parts store, too. sweet. one parts place didn't have greaseable u joints so i went to another one and they said all they make now are greaseable ones? oh well, got serviceable ones.
                Last edited by 1990LTD; 11-01-2010, 03:15 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                  12 point sockets were behind the counter at the parts store, too. sweet.
                  if youve got a camera handy when youre doing this you should take a pic or two.
                  1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                  1994 MGM GS Montigua
                  2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                  2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Usually no matter what I do when I'm working on the car and have a camera, I forget about the camera
                    sigpic

Comment

Usually no matter what I do when I'm working on the car and have a camera, I forget about the camera
                      i do it (or dont do it) too. ill either realize it when im completely finished or halfway through and im like wtf, not again!

1994 MGM GS Montigua
                      2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

whenever I realize I have my camera I don't want to get it all full of grease and general blackness from the car
                        sigpic

Comment

only skimmed the thread so maybe it's been covered but:

Towing/police u-joints will NOT fit on your stock driveshaft. However, I'm pretty sure I ended up digging up tougher u-joints at rockauto that did fit. There might have been two "levels" of civi u-joints, but I can't remember offhand. I just know I saw the civi and police side by side, and they don't look like they'd fit in the same place, and that the ones I ended up getting have way more metal than either the civi or police ones I sampled at Canadian Tire.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Cool. It's entirely possible I've got the different driveshaft...I bought U joints from one parts store listed for my car and then they ended up being the wrong ones. Got the right ones from them eventually, I didn't ask what the difference was, but they were heavier.
                            Last edited by 1990LTD; 11-04-2010, 12:32 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Cool. It's entirely possible I've got the different driveshaft...I bought U joints from one parts store listed for my car and then they ended up being the wrong ones. Got the right ones from them eventually, I didn't ask what the difference was, but they were heavier.
                              thats cool. so how'd it go?

1994 MGM GS Montigua
                              2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

without incident except for the mixup when i bought the first set. it was raining here for days so i brought it to a guy simply because he owns a garage. got to watch it install though.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X