No announcement yet.

ABS in a Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can understand why to modify the old cars. I just don't understand what is his reasoning to want abs, other than its more dummy proof and you can stomp the brakes without them locking up and you don't actually have to modulate the pressure yourself.

Just to say you did it? Or is abs superior in a stopping situation to a well trained foot capable of thresh hold braking?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Comment

i came up with the idea a while ago, i want to have 4 wheel abs, rear air suspension and adjustable speed sensitive steering just so i can say i have done it......just waiting for a cheap aero partscar with abs to come along

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
        i came up with the idea a while ago, i want to have 4 wheel abs, rear air suspension and adjustable speed sensitive steering just so i can say i have done it......just waiting for a cheap aero partscar with abs to come along
        The adjustable steering was only available in the 95-97 TC right? IIRC it had a slider to the left of the steering wheel.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

yes 95-97 iirc

one problem is going to be the tone ring on the steering column.....might have to use an aero steering column and adapt a box wheel on it somehow......i dislike the wheels with bombs

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

90 was the start for the aero steering wheel and possibly column as well...but they have the bomb...
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
              Everything will prolly bolt up pretty easily, might have to make some brackets and a few hard lines. Pedals might be swappable from an early ABS car...

Time for a big brake/4 wheel disc swap.
              x1

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

i dunno, i think the ABS idea is a bit nutty. I would do a BBK, but.....if you are sucessful and complete it i will completely respect you for it. It is great innovative thinking.

btw how did you do the one touch windows?? lol
                2002 Nissan Maxima 6spd 14.2@98mph "it may or may not be street legal"
                2009 Chevy HHR Panel - My office
                1988 Lincoln Town Car - The new love of my life

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                  yes 95-97 iirc

one problem is going to be the tone ring on the steering column.....might have to use an aero steering column and adapt a box wheel on it somehow......i dislike the wheels with bombs
                  Is there anyway to remove the bomb?

sigpic
                  - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Yea, no real reason to have ABS unless your a "panic driver". Someone who panics when they think they are about to hit something and stomps the brakes, causing them to lock up and skid the car. I will admit, that it is a needed option for almost all of the women drivers out there.

For someone who doesn't panic in sketchy driving situations, and knows how to modulate the brake pedal pressure themselves, ABS is not a necessary option. Once the ABS goes out on my Thunderbird TC, I will be converting it over to standard vacuum assist power brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMan83 View Post
                      Yea, no real reason to have ABS unless your a "panic driver". Someone who panics when they think they are about to hit something and stomps the brakes, causing them to lock up and skid the car. I will admit, that it is a needed option for almost all of the women drivers out there.

For someone who doesn't panic in sketchy driving situations, and knows how to modulate the brake pedal pressure themselves, ABS is not a necessary option. Once the ABS goes out on my Thunderbird TC, I will be converting it over to standard vacuum assist power brakes.
                      I don't know about that for sure. You can't always predict when your wheels will lock up, especially in wet weather. What ABS also provides is the ability for full braking while being able to steer around something.

I can't tell you the last time my ABS activated, but I like knowing its there.
                      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                      Past Panthers
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

My 97 Grand Marq had ABS.

In the winter, when for a while it would turn off occasionally for no apparent reason, I did indeed drive differently. I suppose a more accurate statement is, I drove differently WITH it, since that was the only car I owned with it in the winter

If I could easily add ABS I would.

Pete
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I can see wanting to have it, especially when some moron pulls out in front of you and you don't have time to think about modulating the brakes, because you're concerned with making sure that your side is clear so you can steer around them. Also, ABS is capable of modulating the pressure in the brake channels several times a second, which means that you get more time with the maximum braking force possible applied than if you were pumping the brakes yourself.
                          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

There is indeed a reason pretty much all cars come with abs nowadays....
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I assumed it was some federal mandate that insists cars have ABS.

I own 2 vehicles factory-equipped with ABS. Neither has it operational anymore. I think a wheel sensor gave out on the truck, and I know a sensor quit on the Mark VII. I really would like to figure out and ideally fix the problem with the S10. The brakes on it suck, and since I'm gonna be driving it this winter, I can use all the help I can get.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                                There is indeed a reason pretty much all cars come with abs nowadays....

Because people are stupid and don't know how to drive?

On a box panther it'd be an improvement, finding the threshold on these cars and the ability to modulate them effectively is difficult to impossible.
                                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                                X