K-code parking brake cable retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K-code parking brake cable retrofit

I am having trouble seeing how these cables hook up. The intermediate cable for the 93' Town Car has a different horizontal metal cylinder on it's end (left one in the pic) versus the 89' cable (right) and I don't see how that hooks up anywhere.

Also the cable bracket I picked up off a 93' Town Car (left) in the junkyard works, but the tension and angle are all wrong so the cable rubs up against the seat well, and the brakes do not engage near enough to stop the car. Pictured (right) is the 89 bracket.

And the 2 intermediate cables side by side:

I have the two rear cables hooked up to the drums and they are properly held in the factory slots, but on my initial setup, I plugged the passenger's side cable into the hole on the frame and I think that was a mistake. Eric says the intermediate cable goes there and that would make more sense. Anyone have this successfully done on their K-code?
    Last edited by 89LincolnTWNcar; 12-07-2010, 06:25 PM.
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

yes, but it involves the late style end cables, a cable clamp, and a turnbuckle to get the tension right. The pieces don't quite go together, you have to make it fit. I can't really describe how it works, and my car isn't here so I can't get you pictures. Hopefully Scott has some handy.

I have been wanting to look into swapping the front cable out to a later style one in an effort to see if I can use all 90s cables with zero modification, but its one of those "mine ain't broke, so I ain't fixin it" experiments.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

something is missing... both the rear cables need to be attached to the intermediate cable so there is even tension on both rear cables when the e-brake is applied.

I forget exactly how I did the brake cable on the HPP box, I have Asked Zach to take pictures when he can.
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

i've never seen an intermediate cable for an aero parking brake.......will take some video of thains car once we get it up on jackstands

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I'll try to take some pics tonight.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I couldn't take that many tonight with out jacking up the car. Hopefully tomorrow I can.

The passenger side cable appears to just loop around, go over the axle, and is zip tied to the control arm.

The cable reappears, and connects here (I also see that it's simply laying on the muffler, going to have to fix that)
            Last edited by pantera77; 12-09-2010, 10:36 PM.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Thanks Pantera77! Did you plug the passenger's side OR the driver's side cable into the frame hole?? I think that is how I had mine hooked up in the first place, probably just didn't have enough tension on it. Oh wait, that is 88grandmarq's car, looks like I had mine backwards
              Last edited by 89LincolnTWNcar; 12-10-2010, 01:24 AM.
              1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Working...
              X