No announcement yet.

89 towncar no 3rd or 4th gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im not sure he put the fluid in and when we first put it in it worked great but i will say ive leared hes a total dumbass because i payed him to fix this prob and look im fixing it now!!! ughhhh and those grommets you can get them from a local parts storre??

Comment

89 linc.... how do i find the person you were talking about sorry im so new to this site

Comment

If your transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd, seems to hold 2nd longer than normal, and then finally neutrals out completely at the point where it would normally shift to OD, then it probably is the direct clutch as gadget73 said. If the transmission shifts 1-2 and then stays in second gear without ever neutralling might be a stuck 2-3 shift valve in the valve body. That's all I got.
        Last edited by 89LincolnTWNcar; 12-10-2010, 01:06 AM.
        1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

it holds second as long as i give it gas and then if i let off and just give it a little it revs up unless i give it more gas in which case it kicks into second but is just weird that it only star doing this after i manualy shifted it to first at alomst a dead stop

Comment

just food for thought but i think if i let it sit for a couple days it will start shifting again it seems like i let it sit it starts working again because everytime i let it sit and was having this prob before its started working again and this also worked with the perevious tranny he let it sit for two weeks and then it just starting working again i think i will tak it by a tranny shop saturday but i think they will tell me its bad reguardless jsust to get a sale

Comment

autozone sells a multipack og grommets cost me 4-5 bux also did you replace the filter gasket by chance? if you didnt that would make if shift really funny too. pull the pan take out the filter and there is or should be a little squareish gasket if there isnt then get a new filterkit replace and reinstall. I learned this the hardway once cuase my old filte was alot newer in my old tans, and the one i had in the new trans was shot, so i swapped it and it aleady had the gasket still stuck to it. wheni did a trans for scott, i forgot about the gasket, car shifted odd, but was quickly remedied after i found the new gasket and put it in.
              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
              X