Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front brake upgrade...why not earlier year donors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake upgrade...why not earlier year donors?

I've been reading about the brake upgrade but I've got two problems. #1 is my budget which restricts me to my local salvage yard who gives me good deals on parts. #2 is my local salvage yard's lack of any panther '96+.

According to the FAQ I'd need:

96-02 spindles
    98-02 hub bearings
    96-02 lower ball joints
    92-94 upper control arms
    92-94 upper ball joints
    i leave 95 out if it cause that was the changeover yr..... some 95's will have the spindle you need..... midyear they changed the suspension
    98-02 caliper brackets
    98-02 calipers
    98-02 rotors
    98-02 brake hoses

So...what is the significance of using the '98-02 parts? One post I read (that I can't find now) said that the rotors were basically the same but the '98+ gave you dual piston calipers that required 16" wheels. I have a set of 15" wheels and tires I'd really like to use...and I don't really care that much about having dual piston calipers...so could I grab everything off of a '95 CV at the local yard that looks like it has a nice condition suspension?

You could, but its not much of an upgrade. The rotor is a little bigger, but thats about it. Honestly if you're going to the trouble of changing the front brake assembly over, you may as well go for the 98-02 stuff. Its all the same amount of work, and nearly the same cost for parts excepting the wheels. If you're not gonna go 98-02, just rebuild the stock stuff and call it good. Putting a used front end from a 15 year old car is probably not a good value for your time and money. You'd do better to rebuild the stock suspension with good parts vs sticking different used junk in there.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This is precisely why I haven't bothered to do the big brake upgrade. I have a nearly brand new set of Michelins on my car in 15". I don't want to waste them.
      Originally posted by gadget73
      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
      X