Tire Size&&what i can get away with.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Size&&what i can get away with.

I wanna keep the stock 15" wheels and go for the CVPI look, thing is i dont know what the stupid wheel width is and id like go a little bigger than 205 maybe 215 or 225 in either 70 or 75 aspect
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis ls-302 CFI
    Carb swap planned .
    c90 heads
    475 lift cam
    Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
    Built aod(want c6 tryin to fin vac mod model)
    331 stroker kit
    Work in progress

225/70/15 IS the stock PI size. And the wheel size IS listed in the FAQ at the top of the suspension forum.

Thanks for reading!
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

thanks buddy! sorry ill pay more attention
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis ls-302 CFI
      Carb swap planned .
      c90 heads
      475 lift cam
      Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
      Built aod(want c6 tryin to fin vac mod model)
      331 stroker kit
      Work in progress

Comment

You'd be surprised what some people choose to run in terms of tire size!

Me, I try to stay close to 27" overall diameter, which in 15" basically ranges from 205/75 to 295/50 (26.7" actually), and of course there's some limitation imposed by the wheels you choose to run (255/60 on 6.5" wheels is less than ideal, for example). Check the stickies, spend some time with tire calculators and the Tire Rack site, and LUK if you have further questions.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I wish American Racing made their slots (Ansen A69 Sprint wheels) wider than a 17x8. I would love to run a Nitto 555R 285 40 17.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            You'd be surprised what some people choose to run in terms of tire size!

Me, I try to stay close to 27" overall diameter, which in 15" basically ranges from 205/75 to 295/50 (26.7" actually), and of course there's some limitation imposed by the wheels you choose to run (255/60 on 6.5" wheels is less than ideal, for example). Check the stickies, spend some time with tire calculators and the Tire Rack site, and LUK if you have further questions.
            Im running a 325/50R15 rear.
            http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
            http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I came up with closer to 28" for that size, but that's no reason not to use it (obviously). I'm not used to seeing that size in a street tire, though.

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
                Im running a 325/50R15 rear.
                Not on stock wheels!

I ran a 295/50 on a 15x7" wheel. Looked OK. Traction was horrible...and so was handling. You really shouldn't be running anything more than a 225 on the stock wheels.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

yes i agree.......when i got my 84 cvpi in 1995, it had four 255/60/15's on it and it handled like shit, so when it needed tires i got four 225/70/15's and it handled better and the tires wore evenly, i sold it to my buddy and he put four 245/60/15's on it and it handled ok, but still they wore unevenly.......when i got my towny in 98, it had some baldass michelins on it so i got the local tire place to match pep boys 4 for 99 dollar tire deal, for a couple yrs i had those cheapies, they rawked, 225/75/15's....those were the days.......last time i got tires for anyone it was 300 bucks for 4 china whitewalls

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                    Not on stock wheels!

I ran a 295/50 on a 15x7" wheel. Looked OK. Traction was horrible...and so was handling. You really shouldn't be running anything more than a 225 on the stock wheels.
                    i also have a set of 26x8.5 mccreary circle track slicks on a set of stock wheels, well technically they are on, had to run a tube cause 100psi wouldnt seat the beads.
                    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

So Merc302, the short version of the lesson here is to always check the tire manufacturer's recommended wheel width for the tire size and model you're looking at.

Comment

I'm probably going to go for 255/70r15 the next time I need tires for the lincoln. This will be mainly to match up the tire size with the speedo to get an accurate reading. This is due to some previous owner putting 4.10 or 4.30 gears in the rear when they did the mustang engine swap.

the other two cars get stock sizes since they're still stock wheels and stuff.
                        Last edited by sly; 03-19-2011, 03:22 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

id like to see what 255/70s would look like on a lincoln. i got 225/70s on my mark and they look just right on the factory spoke rims. GMGT has 245/60s front and 255/60s rear. look good on the car but, cant lower it with the current aftermarket rims much, cause of the offset. got to leave room for suspension travel.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

255 70 is a big tire.

I'd swap the speedo gear and deal with the error, myself.
                            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

already up to a 23 tooth speedo gear. It's still off by 5 over at 60mph. though I will have a gander at the tires before making a purchase... if they look too obnoxious... I'll pass and hope I can score a 7 tooth output shaft for the trans.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X