Sway Bars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sway Bars...

Hey there everyone, First off I just wanted to introduce myself. I currently drive an 87 Grand Marquis at my local circle track. Im looking for some new/used sway bars. I know there are thicker ones then the stock ones but what will they be off of?? Crown Vic police?? if so what years?? I have the factory front sway bar on my car now, and just recently picked up a stock crown vic rear sway bar, but I would like to find bigger ones for both the front and rear! Thanks for any help!!

circle track... i assume dirt track racing... what a waste of a good car unless it is all but rusted out and beyond repair for the road...
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Actually no it is on a paved oval and the car is rough(body) but its bad fast!! Last year was my first season and I'm hooked. So do you have any info that would help me with the sway bar question?? Thanks.

Comment

wagon sways bars are an improvement, but the almost unobtainium police ones are better than wagon bars... i am sure there are write ups for the sway bars if searched under the chassis and suspension for upgrades ... got pics... we like pics...
        Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Aftermarket swaybars are available from sources such as P-S-T. Only downside I know of is that their rear bar attaches weirdly.

Nice user title, by the way! I learned the acronym JDM whilst working with a couple of Honda fanatics a few years back.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Pics X2.... action pics if you have em'

I used to crew on some Chebby roundy rounds, it was a fun time.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Thanks everyone, so the wagon front bar is bigger than the stock sedan front bar. I think they have a few of those at the junk yard.. no police car though... My user title had nothing to do with those hondas.. Its just my initials. I have to run what came stock on my car... it had to be an option or it has to be what the car came with from the factory. I do have some pics, i will have to track them down on my computer!!
              Here are some from last season from the track website. Our car is the #23 car.

Comment

Originally posted by 87_crown_vic View Post
                wagon sways bars are an improvement, but the almost unobtainium police ones are better than wagon bars... i am sure there are write ups for the sway bars if searched under the chassis and suspension for upgrades ... got pics... we like pics...
                I recall mrltd and others saying that cop and wagon front bars are quite comparable as far as performance. The rear bars are an annoyance, since so many cars seem to have come with no rear bar at all (3 out of 3 civilian vehicles I've owned). Still, even a small civvie swaybar has got to be better than nothing.

Now, what was this about somethingorother having to be stock on a race car? (I don't know squat about any sort of racing)

Comment

Yeah I just put on the small factory rear sway bar from a crown vic. My rear control arms had the holes already. I am just looking to find a set of police or now that i know, a set of wagon sway bars to play around with at the track. I have practice tonight, so we shall see how the small rear sway bar works out.

As for the stock stuff on a race car. I drive in an enrty level class. Bombers or factory stocks... the car must remain "stock" for the most part... there are a lot of grey areas in the rules... and some have taking full advantage of that and some have not.. but all in all its fun!! How do i post videos on here? I have some from last year.

Comment

Tons of info here if you search...

wagon bars are hollow, along with some other late civi cars.They are equivalent to the PI bars- but lighter. One member has put a fox body rear bar on his car. later model whale/aero rear bars are better (and easily found) the aero/whale front bars are bigger....
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

For videos upload them to youtube then post the link in the thread.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by JDM View Post
                        As for the stock stuff on a race car. I drive in an enrty level class. Bombers or factory stocks... the car must remain "stock" for the most part... there are a lot of grey areas in the rules... and some have taking full advantage of that and some have not.. but all in all its fun!! How do i post videos on here? I have some from last year.
                        I only know of two factory rear swaybars, the little one you've got and the 1" one I've got on my P72. I don't personally know of a wagon ever having come with a rear swaybar (neither of mine did; it's like Ford wanted then to wallow like wallpaper paste), but if one did, I'd be very surprised if it were the bigger one.

I would imagine grey area means a direct-fit part might be acceptable if no used factory part can be located?

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                          I only know of two factory rear swaybars, the little one you've got and the 1" one I've got on my P72. I don't personally know of a wagon ever having come with a rear swaybar (neither of mine did; it's like Ford wanted then to wallow like wallpaper paste), but if one did, I'd be very surprised if it were the bigger one.

I would imagine grey area means a direct-fit part might be acceptable if no used factory part can be located?
                          there were 2 wagons up at one of the yards I go to, and they both had the skinny rear bar on them. I have no clue if they are still there or not though.
                          Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                          New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

I got my front sway bar from an '86 Country Squire and the rear from an '89 MGM. I have yet to install the rear bar; waiting to rebuild the rear diff. Right now it handles reall well; or at least the suspension out performs the engine.

Packman

Comment

A PI bar set is really what you want to use. They are very hard to fine, I haven't found a PI in the yards for a very long time.
                              89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Working...
                              X