Front End Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front End Rebuild

If all goes well with Putter Project I'm going to rebuild the front end of the CV. I'm going to approach the CV differently though. Since there's a lot of '88-'91 MGMs at the JY; I figured I would find the car with the best front end and take the control arms and spindles off. This way I can have the all of the parts cleaned, painted, and assembled with new hardware and poly bushings. I figure that whatever car I take apart I have to retain the upper control arm shims and use them on my CV. Because these pieces are coming off of another car, will there be any problems installing them or getting them aligned with an older box?

Packman

No they're the same arms. Same suspension. No difference. '92 got different control arms. '90 for towncars I think. From the body change. If you're going through the trouble of pulling arms and stuff, why don't you go to big brakes mang? I mean if you're gonna take the chance of killing yourself in a junkyard, it should be for something better than stock. (Lower control arms are the same from '79-'02). You need upper arms from an aero. 1992-1994 to be more specific. Spindles and hubs from '98-'02 car. Ball joints for '98-'02. Brake calipers, brackets etc from '98-'02. 16 inch rims and tires. Steering stuff is the same from '79-'02

Comment

good point. As long as you already have 16" or larger wheels, the brakes are fairly straightforward. Its about the same work really, particularly if you're already planning to harvest new arms and replace all of the stuff.

The only problem getting one of these cars aligned with whatever you put on there is having a decent alignment shop. Took me 3 tries before I found someone who could make the car go straight down the road.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm still running the stock turbines with snow tires during the winter months. Otherwise, I would have done the big brake upgrade. When I first got the CV, I should have looked for some cop/cab wheels and slapped winter tires on them.

Packman

Comment

Working...
        X