Trany Shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trany Shifter

My 1987 GM has a "loose" trany shifter on the column. Trany works great and is lined up on the dash but you can pull/push the shifter lever VERY easily. Is there a spring or lever in the column that tightens this up and if so what is the part/proceedure for repair? Checked the official Ford manual but no mention of it. Thanks.....Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
    My 1987 GM has a "loose" trany shifter on the column. Trany works great and is lined up on the dash but you can pull/push the shifter lever VERY easily. Is there a spring or lever in the column that tightens this up and if so what is the part/proceedure for repair? Checked the official Ford manual but no mention of it. Thanks.....Bobby
    Yes there's a spring. It probably broke, I've seen it before, the shifter just flops. And I think Thain (Gadget73) disassembled it and replaced the spring. I don't know how to do it.

Comment

86VIC -YOU DA MAN! You have described the condition completely. I'll have to do a search and see if I find the write-up you spoke of or perhaps I can PM him. Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I'm doing my heater core right now, and had to pull apart the instrument cluster.

It's not so bad at all [for your spring-- not for the heater core]! I think I can walk you through it myself now. Once the trim pieces are off --the dome light knob is not obvious to figure out how to remove but not hard once you know about the button buried behind/underneath the dash-- the instrument cluster has several easy to see and remove screws, comes right out. The spring is front and center and impossible to miss. I don't know whether home depot is going to carry a spring of the right length for you, or if it's something rockauto has for a couple bucks, but it will be easy to change out.

Comment

here's the photo 1990LTD took of the button to release the dome light knob.
          One of those metal dimples is, in fact, a button. Pull on the dome light knob as you push on it. This is probably the only hangup you'll have.
          The trim pieces are otherwise held in with non-hidden screws, or just push tabs-- and then you'll see the spring at the bottom of the instrument cluster that you need to replace (or maybe it just came undone? nah, probably broken)

Click image for larger version

Name:	domelightknobreleasebutton.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1264944

Comment

Working...
          X