steering wheel upside down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering wheel upside down?

I dropped my steering wheel to remove the dash.
    The wheels are almost straight, pointed a couple degrees to the left.

I noticed before I bolted it back up into place again, that it appears to be upside down!

I've taken steering and suspension class, we went over some of these things.
    We did a rack&pinion R&R so we had to quite deliberately unbolt the steering column from the pinion gear, obviously lets the wheel flop around.

I know that when you do an alignment, you can end up changing the steering wheel orientation, though I'm not sure how. My team stripped the pressure line to our steering rack, so the day everyone else was doing alignments, we did a steering rack R&R for the 3rd or 4th time (don't ask) If you have a '96 corolla with a steering rack problem, I'm your man, hahaha.

Anyway, what I'm getting at here is that I don't think/ don't know of one thing that would result in an upside down steering wheel just because I dropped the column from the dash with those 4 bolts.
    But you guys know these cars better than I do; I did my first oil change 10mo ago and am still quite the greenhorn. What'd I do and how do I fix it? The wheel does not rotate freely, so if it did get unhinged at some point, it surely isn't now.

Thanks!!
    -Bernard

If you took the column out at one of the u'joints it could have been reinstalled 180* out when it was reinstalled.
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

Comment

Could have pulled it out of the slip joint and put it together wrong. My column is a few degrees off......from when the column ripped itself apart racing.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

how do I reinsert it correctly?
        Pull out hard, rotate, let it spring back into place?

Comment

You don't have rack and pinion steering you have parallelogram steering, no panther had rack and pinion until 2003. Open the hood. Look at the steering column out there, make sure that it's still in the rag joint (under the black plastic cover [if still there]). You also may have screwed up where the clock spring orientation. What I mean by that is. As the wheel turns, the ribbon wire inside the clock spring allows only a certain amount of travel, normally this isn't a problem as the steering hits the locks before the clock spring reaches this point (about 1.5 turns each way). This is a 90 right? It's a pain to differentiate without info in people's signatures! So when you fix the steering wheel, you may have to set the clock spring back up. THE BATTERY HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED AND LEFT OFF RIGHT? Cause I personally haven't had this happen yet, but when those bags goes off, ouch! This involves removing the bomb bag (4 10 or 11mm nuts, and one connector. Then the clock spring will be exposed. Next. Remove the clock spring. Center your steering wheel. Find center on the clock spring by counting the number of times it can rotate without binding, then go half that. Once you have the same amount of travel in each direction (about 1.5 turns iirc), set the clockspring back in the steering wheel, and hook everything back up.

Comment

Working...
          X