dex/merc fluid OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dex/merc fluid OK?

Realized my transmission fluid was a little low, no worries-- I know why it was low, I'd spilled some when I put in the engine, and never re-topped it off.

I went to salvos and they swore it was Dextron III for my 1990 grand marq.
    I could have sworn it was mercon V, but whatever...
    So I bought a quart of castrol's dex/merc, which did however say "not for mercon V" on the back of the bottle in fine print.

It took about 2/3 of a quart, idling hot in park, to fill up.

I get home and discover that I've got mercon V on the shelf, so I must have read that our ford AODs DO require mercon V.
    Is there any problem now that I've added 2/3qts dex/merc fluid to my trans?

Probably none, but figure it's the best policy to double check.
    If there IS a problem, just do a drain and refill with mercon V?

Oh btw, what are trans filter change intervals anyway?
    The transmission was rebuilt 12,000 miles ago and the fluid is as clean as red-dyed water, so I'm guessing I'm not at all overdue just yet.

i think only the 95+ transmissions required Mercon V, however Ford has said that you can run Mercon v in any ford automatic
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Dex/Merc is fine. Ford recommends Mercon V for the AOD.
      Intervals for fluid/transmission services are 30k miles. You could possibly take it longer.

Comment

The fluid reccomendation was updated as mentioned. they seem to shift a little nicer with Mercon V, and if its a somewhat lower mileage trans I'd probably convert it over at the next service interval but its not required.

The original fluid actually may have been Dexron II, which was superceded with Dexron III. At some point Ford realized it was a bit dumb to tell people to put Chevy fluid in their Ford product, so they came out with Mercon which happened to be almost identical to GM's Dexron fluid.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

OK, cool! Sounds like they're fully compatible then. There's at least 1/2qt of true mercon V in that trans that I added. I don't know what the previous owner put in when they had the transmission rebuilt, but I can't imagine that it was too far off the mark.
          I didn't know that Dextron was a chevy product; amusing story then.

I'll just do Mercon V in 15,000 miles then. Thanks! I was just being twitchy because I know transmissions can be sensitive. Btw, sears transmission flushes only ever use one kind of universal trans fluid, I should probably find out just what it is that we do use... and given the variety of very complex and unforgiving transmissions new cars have, and the dozen different fluid mixtures to serve them, I can only see that as a very bad idea....

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
            OK, cool! Sounds like they're fully compatible then. There's at least 1/2qt of true mercon V in that trans that I added. I don't know what the previous owner put in when they had the transmission rebuilt, but I can't imagine that it was too far off the mark.
            I didn't know that Dextron was a chevy product; amusing story then.

I'll just do Mercon V in 15,000 miles then. Thanks! I was just being twitchy because I know transmissions can be sensitive. Btw, sears transmission flushes only ever use one kind of universal trans fluid, I should probably find out just what it is that we do use... and given the variety of very complex and unforgiving transmissions new cars have, and the dozen different fluid mixtures to serve them, I can only see that as a very bad idea....
            Yup, just don't use Type F or Chrysler fluid and you'll be ok lol.

Comment

I used DexMerc in our '03 Cav, and that allegedly requires a higher/newer spec fluid than AODs came with. Been working great, if slightly softer than it had been before the fluid change. I also got DexMerc to fill up the AOD I just installed. Merc V is supposed to be better, especially that from suppliers like Mobil-1, but I doubt I can justify the extra expense. $15/gallon seems plenty expensive to me!
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Put Mercon in a chevy product and the trans will be more grabby, put Dexron in a ford and the trans will slip more. Dexron II/Mercon is what was originally prescribed for the AOD. With Mercon the clutches will grab better, which means less black in the trans pan come next transmission service.

Comment

Working...
                X