No announcement yet.

Power Steering Reservoir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not for the line Jason, it's too big.

For the high pressure line, and the lines on the steering box, it's 5/8". I didn't have a large enough socket or wrench to remove the pressure fitting thing. I think it's 1" or larger (I used an adjustable wrench).

Comment

BF Crecent FTW :p

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

O ring that goes under the pressure reducer fitting perhaps ? Or maybe it goes on the cap. Not sure but I think some of those have an O ring seal.

I want to say the large pressure reducer uses a 1 1/16" but I won't swear to that. been a long time since I had a wrench on one. Adjustable wrench is perfectly acceptable if you don't have the right one.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          O ring that goes under the pressure reducer fitting perhaps ? Or maybe it goes on the cap. Not sure but I think some of those have an O ring seal.

I want to say the large pressure reducer uses a 1 1/16" but I won't swear to that. been a long time since I had a wrench on one. Adjustable wrench is perfectly acceptable if you don't have the right one.
          Thanks for putting a name to the part. The pressure reducer has 2 O rings. One that goes on right after the threads, and then one at the base of the hex shape. There were 4 O rings in total, The 2 I used for the pressure reducer, the large one for the pump seal, the 4th one, I couldn't find a place for. It was too small and thin for the cap.

Comment

exploded view
            Attached Files

Comment

Old thread bump.

I'm pretty sure the big O-ring for my reservoir is also dead and leaking fluid.

I've stared and stared at that reservoir (because I've had plenty of time due to constant refilling!) and it sure looks to me like it would come off without even taking the pump off. Seems like it has enough room to travel rearward and all that.

My question is what am I missing? Why can't the reservoir be removed without also pulling the pump?

TIA.
              Last edited by Ike Clanton; 06-25-2012, 02:55 AM.

Comment

It takes all of 10 minutes to pull the pump off the engine. It may be doable with it in the car. But why be hunched over a car when you can just take it out, to a well lit area, where you won't drop things into oblivion.

Comment

there's also not enough clearance behind the reservoir to clear with the pump in the car IIRC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

besides, the brackets are inevitably gross, so its a good excuse to clean it off.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

to be fair, it's a little more than 10 minutes.
                      I know I struggled with the lines going to the pump; they were frozen.
                      OTOH that was two years ago and I didn't know what I was doing and had no tools: so maybe it really would be 10 minutes if I did it again

Comment

took me 30 minutes to swap the pump in my 88 because the bolts were all so f'n frozen to everything and the pulley puller required a breakover bar and counter wrench with me damn near standing on the bracket to get it off. Once the pulley was off... took about 10 minutes to finish up.

Comment

I really want to do the lines on mine while I've got nothing installed on that side of the motor and the pump isn't bolted on yet.
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

FYI:

I just replaced the big reservoir O-ring (which was square due to age) with the pump still installed on the car. The longest part of the operation was finding something to dig the old O-ring out of its groove.

Piece-O-cake.

Comment

Working...
                            X