Code 89

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code 89

Hey, I keep getting a check engine light every so often after the car is warm, the only stored code is a Code 89 which is AXOD Lock-Up Solenoid (LUS) circuit failure or Clutch Converter Override (CCO) Circuit failure. (Or is it Exhaust heat control)?

Anyway, this is on my '91 with 85k mi & I drive the car around in D all the time because according to the tranny shop "All the overdrive clutches are burned out" due to the previous owner running the car without the grommet on the TV cable...

Is this an exterior part on the transmission? Is it an easy repair? Does it need fixed immediately or is this something I can let go for awhile? If I fix this will it prolong the life of the tranny or don't bother?
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

you don't have any of those systems. The AOD doesn't have any lockup solenoids or converter clutches. I have no idea what exhaust heat control is. No idea what would set a code 89 on a 91 Vic.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Its not a common code... I can look it up in my service manual when I get home.
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Thanks for your help, mangs. I knew it wasn't a common code because the only thing I can find on it here is in the trouble code listings. It's possible it could be from running it with a rotten 'fresh air tube' the one that goes down into the catalytic converter to make it run hotter and burn off the exhaust fully. The exhaust shop just patched/welded the air-tube closed for me for $10

I'm having an idle surging issue on it too when it's warm it just idles up and down over and over sometimes it stalls when it idles down like if I put it in reverse. Searching on here tells me it could be the MAP sensor, IAC, or an exhaust leak before the cats/oxygen sensors.
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Are you sure it's 89 and not a different code?

Code 89....

A4LD - Converter Clutch Override solenoid - Transmissions
          AXOD Torque Converter Control solenoid circuit - Transmissions
          Exhaust Heat Control (heat riser) solenoid circuit - Solenoids

And OD doesn't have clutches. OD is a single band.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
            Are you sure it's 89 and not a different code?

Code 89....

A4LD - Converter Clutch Override solenoid - Transmissions
            AXOD Torque Converter Control solenoid circuit - Transmissions
            Exhaust Heat Control (heat riser) solenoid circuit - Solenoids

And OD doesn't have clutches. OD is a single band.
            Yep... code 89 is for electronically controled transmissions, which your AOD is not.

Ford starting using 3 digit codes on most 91 year model vehicles, so I would make sure you are counting the code correctly.

direct clutches are responsible for 3rd gear, but they also apply for OD along with the OD band. IF the direct clutch stops working, you lose 3rd and 4th gear.
            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

189 is an adaptive lean error, which makes more sense.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
              X