Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

three idle tire & wheel questions (non-panther-specific)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

three idle tire & wheel questions (non-panther-specific)

Hi!

Three questions.

Sidewall stiffness; how does it affect fuel economy?
    Last November (over a year ago November) I replaced whatever my car came with, passenger tires with a wsw but I don't know the brand, with light truck tires.
    My fuel economy got worse. For other reasons, like the fact that it was on the cusp of winter and winter gas and a colder, richer-running engine, I couldn't peg this entirely on the tires. But I felt it was so. I calculate fuel economy at every fresh tank of gas. Also, the tires had a greater width AND aspect ratio, so my apparent mileage (and therefore fuel economy) was going to be understated. However, the degree to which it is understated is around 5%.
    It seemed that my fuel economy plummeted from 18-20 mpg averaged, to 15-16mpg. Again, this could have been due to winter...?

But then today, I had a discussion with an older guy at work, who said he had a customer with a prius who complained of greatly reduced fuel economy after an oil change. My dad has a prius, and I know he obsesses over "hypermiling"-- it becomes a hobby to anally track every last drop of gasoline for these folk, and god forbid they see a palpable drop!
    Turned out, he got tires at the same time (elsewhere). That shop, mr tire, had talked him into more expensive tires with a better speed rating, and stiffer sidewalls. They accounted for a 9mpg averaged drop in fuel economy! Granted, we're talking 9mpg off a vehicle that started with 40-50mpg.

So I have my suspicions about my own light truck tires (versus my old passenger tires), and now this story.
    Is there something to it; do stiffer sidewalls harm fuel economy?

I was trying to think about it, and could not come up with a good answer. After all, a stiffer tire should compress less, and therefore have a lower rolling resistance, right? And after all, it is known that low air pressure will dramatically raise rolling resistance as the tire sinks lower, and more rubber is constantly compressing and decompressing as it rolls-- and likewise that over filling a tire might aid fuel economy, at the cost of a risk of a blowout, and reduced traction, of course. So I'm not advising it. Wouldn't a stiffer tire do much the same thing as more air pressure, shrinking the contact patch with the road and lowering the amount of rubber that is being kneaded by the rolling wheel?

My other two questions are quicker.
    I bought some uniroyal tiger paw tires for another car. There's a slight ripple in the side wall of one, perfectly radial. Definitely nut a bubble. Just a straight vertical line of a slight depression in the side. What causes that? Is it a problem? Is it a "slipped belt" that I've heard about?

Lastly, I was idly wondering... from an engineering standpoint, are perfectly radial spokes the ideal, or would any sort of curved, sweeping spoke, aside from being stylish, serve a function?

Spokes can affect aerodynamics. Read up about prius wheels.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

^^ If the Prius gang were worried about aerodynamics, why'd the make the car as tall as a van?

How could a tire drop mileage by 9mpg? Stiff sidewalls ought to be good for rolling resistance ... though of course, sticky compounds would not.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Winter will affect your mileage greatly--and that is mostly to increased idle time, and then all the extra tire spinning you do. Also, winter gas reduces fuel mileage itself. So until you've run a few tanks of 'normal gas' fugettabout meaningful comparisons. In a nutshell, you can not do a proper mpg comparison during winter, wayyyy to many variables out of your control.

There are tires made (and factory installed on the prius) that are to maximize mileage. Michelin makes specific mention of whatever tire it is they have for the car. I wouldn't want them, I want my tires to stick to the road, not glide over it. What I'd like to see is a comparison of stopping capability between a normal passenger tire, and the max mileage tires. That hard rubber has got to have a bunch of negative side effects.

As for truck tires, I don't see enough difference to care one way or the other.

There is no easy one answer for your questions. Its all a matter of trade offs. Do you want grip. Do you want long life. Do you want dry weather traction. Do you want winter traction. etc.

Pressure is another thing that needs to be looked at individually. What I do in the winter is different from what I do in the summer. What kind of tire I'm running also dictates to a degree what pressure I run. Again, there is no one encompassing answer, you need to ask yourself what exactly you want from the tire. (and different tire types like different pressures, even on the same car. The pressures I ran on the tires that came on my MGM is different from what I ran in my Michelins, is again different from what I'm running in my Firestones, and again different to what I run in my winter tires).

Alex.
        Last edited by GM_Guy; 12-17-2011, 12:44 PM.

Comment

There are low friction tires made that will bump fuel economy. There are of course higher traction tires made, and I'd expect them to bump it downward. As mentioned, its all a comprimise. There is no one perfect solution.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Alright... so there is no rule that a stiffer side wall would hurt fuel economy. And I agree, I would think it would help.
            Yeah, I know about the different compounds.

Forgot about that aspect of the spokes-- that, and design them as impellers to cool your rotors!

Comment

Considering you went to a taller tire that why your mileage is hurting. Harder to get it rolling. You may see slightly better highway mpg though.
              1989 Grand Marquis LS
              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Working...
              X