Need help Fmx to aod swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help Fmx to aod swap.

Ok here we go. Yesterday I bought 1980 ltd with 125k from old folks (original owners). While going on freeway transmission started making grinding noises and finally 35 miles from home it all the gears disappeared. Today I towed it home. Car was sitting for five years in garage but started right up. My guess is all the seals dried up in slushbox. It is basic car with manual everything. Its a 302 2bbl. It also needs new exhaust and tires and tags. Pics coming soon.

What factory parts will I need to do the swap. Are fmx aod the same length?
    “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

I could be totally wrong, but I don't think an 80 LTD with a 302 would have come with the FMX? Most likely it would have a C-4, C-3 or something else I've never heard about, but not an FMX.

Whatever it has, I would expect a 91 down AOD to practically be a drop in replacement. Probably need a driveshaft and
    maybe some shifter linkage.

Comment

Transmission code on the door says x which means its a fmx according to chiltons.
      “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

You may be right it could be an FMX!! But I wouldn't trust Chiltons too much, Ford sometimes swaps those codes around from year to year. I've looked it up, and so far it's either a C-4 or an FMX., doesn't really matter though. Unless there is something I don't know about, the AOD should bolt right up to your 302 no matter what was there before. Somebody here I'm sure has done this and knows exactly what you need to do.
        Last edited by mcninetyone; 01-02-2012, 12:06 AM.

Comment

prob a C4, I don't think they put the FMX in those.

Anyway, obviously you need the AOD. You also need the shift linkage and I believe the brackets to hold the shift linkage. ou also need the TV rod, and maybe the carb needs to change, though I'm really not positive on that. 1987cp did the swap the opposite way, fitting a C4 into an AOD car. I'm pretty sure he can tell you what you need.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think I will take tv rod shift linkage and brackets from cfi car.

Comment

They put fmx's in a few of em. Not many. Assembly strike or some shit. My dad remembers.
              1989 Grand Marquis LS
              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                1987cp did the swap the opposite way, fitting a C4 into an AOD car. I'm pretty sure he can tell you what you need.
                LOL. And then back again the other way when someone lunched the C4 for me!

But right, easiest way seems to be to pop the AOD linkage adjuster loose from the bellcrank bit at the end of the shifter shaft, and follow it right down, taking the lower bellcrank and brackets, and pop the end of the linkage loose from the shift lever on the tranny itself. Some have apparently done it otherwise, such as modifying an AOD linkage to use with a C4, etc.

BTW, might need to make sure whether the transmission you're using has the same transmission shift lever as on a stock Vic AOD. All my AODs have been configured for Panthers, so I don't know if Mustangs, etc. used a different shift lever. And you know your WOT shift points will be teh suck unless you get a Ford "HIGH" or Transgo "HIREV" governor weight, right?
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Will this carb work with aod: E3TE-BJA.

Comment

I have precisely zero idea what you're talking about.

The only thing that matters about your carb with respect to the AOD is whether you're physically able to hook up your chosen TV linkage. Summit sells handy TV adapters for getting the cable-pull ratio right when using a Lokar cable with Holley or Carter carburetors.
                    Last edited by 1987cp; 01-02-2012, 01:15 AM.

Comment

the carb he mentioned is a stock Ford part number. NFC if it'll work right, I've never looked into it that close. Its whatever would be stock on an 83 Ford truck with an unknown transmission. My guess is the truck would have had the same trans as whatever lives in the 80 LTD. Basicaly, if the TV linkage from the AOD mates up to the carb in the same manner the kickdown linkage does, he's good. I just don't know if it does. Never liked the C4, and I generally dislike carbs.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Does any body knows if cfi and 2bbl carb linkage is the same? it looks like it is.

Comment

Pretty sure all the rod linkages are the same, but the original from my '81 is the only one I've gotten to really look over.

Comment

Some pics of the beast and of transmission. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1824.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	1268357Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1829.jpg
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1268358Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1826.jpg
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	1268359Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1825.jpg
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1268360

Comment

yea that's an fmx.......you are the first that i know of to kill one lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X