Lowering a Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowering a Grand Marquis

My 90 Grand Marquis is already sagging and is in need of new springs. I like the look of the car being a little lower than stock but the thing handles like a motor home. I want to get some lowering springs but dont know where they are sold or what spring rates I need. Ive read the FAQ post about suspension and there were a few springs listed. Has anyone used these, and if so how do you like them. What i want is the car to be a little lower than stock, maybe 1"-1 1/2" , and be a little stiffer. Any pics of lowered cars would be awesome too. Thanks

the info is somewhere in the brown blob thread... but dang that's a LONG one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

A few members here have those Speedway springs. Blaze86Vic, 87GTVic, and myself are running those springs. IMO they don't ride as harsh as I thought. They definitely get rid of the floating feeling at highway speeds and the rolling through turns. Here's a little advice; if you haven't done an exhaust upgrade yet and are planning to do so, get the exhaust custom bent, or at least the H-pipe custom bent. The popular upgrade is Mustang headers and a Mustang H-pipe, which hang too low (well at least in my case) for these springs. Just my on that.

Packman

Comment

not to thread jack, this will be quick...packman, what springs are you running up front(specs)?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

If you are just looking for a drop the speedway motor springs mentioned in the stickies will do that for you. If you are looking for added handling by them you can kiss that thought goodby if you are running your vehicle with 20+ year old body and suspension bushings.

I am running 925# up front and 225# in the back.

This is how my car sits with them:

I actually post some pictures of just the rears done before and after as well as the fronts before in after in my readers ride page.

For more information on my car you can always find a write up on it in my signature by clicking one "The Brown Blob" in the brown type.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Running speedway motor springs here as well. 925# and 225# on the 87, and 925# and 200# on the 89.

The stiffer springs definitely helped stiffen the ride up, couple them with some PI sway bars (or Addco) , p71 shocks, and poly bushings, you'll be impressed at how good a box can handle.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

The 89' is the look im going for. I have HPP rims as well. What size tires are you running Pantera? Heres a pic of my car now.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 90merc View Post
                The 89' is the look im going for. I have HPP rims as well. What size tires are you running Pantera? Here's a pic of my car now.
                ME GUSTA. HPP's ftw! Also, LSC center caps will fit up front over the factory brake hubs.

I'm running stock 225/60/16's right now, but they are nearly shot. When I upgrade I'll go wider.

I literally have nearly no pics of the car unfortunately, but you can get a vague idea of how it sits. Front tire is nearly dead even with the wheel well, rear has a 1/2 - 1" gap

This was with 225# out back. To much rake for me.
                Last edited by pantera77; 01-07-2012, 09:06 PM.
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by 90merc View Post
                  The 89' is the look im going for. I have HPP rims as well. What size tires are you running Pantera? Heres a pic of my car now.
                  nice looking merc mang!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Perhaps my bushings were in good condition when I changed my springs or maybe it was such a drastic difference in the handling that let me take turns at a much higher rate of speed than previously attempted. Though I haven't done that in a while because my current 26 year old bushings look rough. I hope to change that come Spring.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                      Perhaps my bushings were in good condition when I changed my springs or maybe it was such a drastic difference in the handling that let me take turns at a much higher rate of speed than previously attempted. Though I haven't done that in a while because my current 26 year old bushings look rough. I hope to change that come Spring.

Packman
                      I noticed a large improvement when I did the springs on both cars.

Comment

Working...
                      X