3 quick questions on differentials, + deep pan transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 quick questions on differentials, + deep pan transmission

I bought a posi lok unit off craigslist the other day to install in my currently open rear.

(1) what is the pin that holds the spider gears together called? apparently/maybe has C clips holding it in? Is it the thing called a crosspin bolt, and if so, what would be the crosspin retaining bolt? The posi I bought, has the spider gears just floating...
    (2) can I buy a replacement? ...finding one might be substantially easier once I know the answer to (1)
    (3) The clutches in a posi unit: I have not yet taken it apart, but just looking at it, the steel ribs -I count three- are the backing plates, SO, whatever space in between the steel ribs can be assumed to be the friction/clutch material?
    (3.1) Rebuild kits are pricey. How thick is the clutch material brand new (just like, say, brake pads start at 12mm), so I can judge how used up they are? If they're almost fresh, I won't spend another $60-$100 on a kit.

(4) Lots of folks are advising a deep sump pan for my AOD. Now, looks like the filter is itself the pickup tube, and goes directly to the pump. SO if I buy a deep sump pan --made originally for some of the 4x4 vehicles with the AOD, or, buy a pricey aftermarket aluminum version-- do I need to locate the appropriate filter that will reach to the bottom of it?

You can use the 4x4 pan and the 4x4 filter. It adds about 2 qts. The aluminum pan uses the same 4x4 filter. It adds 3 qts.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I used a summit +1qt finned aluminum pan on the wr-aod in the 87, and just used the filter that came with it. I wouldn't go anymore than that, as it sits pretty even with the exhaust. P72Ford went with a +3qt pan and it sits low.

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

The B&M cast aluminum pan I used hangs lower than the front crossmember, and my car is low to begin with. Things would probably get interesting if I were to wheel it Bo and Luke Duke style...
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

looky. Creamy is lowered abot an inch or inch and a half. Havent had any issues so far
          Attached Files
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
          X