cheap deep transmission pans :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cheap deep transmission pans :-)

Ordered two of 'em for myself and my sister. They arrived today just fine. Mild surface rust and a couple dents where it doesn't matter (i.e., not on the gasket surface).

Much cheaper than a $120 new one!

May I ask what the point of deep transmission pans are?

Comment

Keeping things COOOOL! same with Diff covers all tho I never seen ones like like that usaully deep pans are the entire pan thats deep

Comment

They hold more fluid???

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Yeap that too

Comment

also what I heard was that in tight turns, with the AOD, the fluid would slosh to one side of the pan and the pump would, very briefly, draw air.
            The deep pan meant that even sloshing around, the pickup tube on the filter would still get fluid at all times, being submerged deeper, of course.

Comment

Mostly more fluid capacity. More fluid = better cooling. The sloshing thing is mostly a concern with very aggressive driving. If you're autocrossing or something its probably useful.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yea I can see that.. would benefit on a police package

Comment

ahh... and that might be why they came stock only on 4x4s. If going off a level road, the deeper pan might also make sense.

Comment

Indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      Mostly more fluid capacity. More fluid = better cooling. The sloshing thing is mostly a concern with very aggressive driving. If you're autocrossing or something its probably useful.
                      or in DFW traffic.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'd just like a pan with a drain plug. I suppose I could drill and tap the pan that I have already but it wouldn't be tapered at all for the fluid to drain.

do they make AOD pans with a drain plug? don't need much in the way of extra capacity; got an auxiliary trans cooler already and i don't do any wild driving. i suppose the extra capacity couldn't hurt though.
                        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

There are aftermarket ones. I added a plug to my stock pan. Its got a nut on the inside to hold the drain plug assembly in there. Doesn't allow for a 100% drain, but its more than enough to allow dropping the pan without a huge f'n mess.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Talked to some of FORDs tranny engineers about the AOD. They claimed the AOD realy did better with more capacty but reduced it and pressure a bit for softer shifts in the old people cars. This also created higher trany temps. Having a trany temp gage in Creamy has shed some lite on this. With my deep pan 3/8 ID lines 25,000 lb towing cooler leaving it in 3 at high speed it can get quite hot over 200*. At that point I shift into OD to lower the RPM and cool the trans. Have seen it up over 200* running autocross events. Some of those events I just parked it at that point. Hate to see the temp without the mods.
                            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

that's very interesting, turbo. I can see reducing pressure for softer shifts: but why would reduced pan capacity --OR the raised temperature that reduced capacity results in, maybe-- make for softer shifts?
                              I'm planning on putting on a cooler with my rebuild. Are 3/8" lines worth it, and, are they so difficult to flare and bend and make yourself? I'll give it a whirl though, if the difference is real. Worst that could happen is they don't fit well, and I have to reinstall the stock 1/4" lines.

Comment

Working...
                              X