brake booster hissing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake booster hissing?

Three days ago, again, I heard a hissing sound from the brake booster. OK, so I'm not sure it was the booster, but it sounded like the sort of vacuum hiss that I hear my climate box make when I shift vent positions, and it happens when braking, so it has to be.
    This has been a very intermittent thing. I heard a couple times the same thing, last winter. At at least once before this winter.
    This time it was a prolonged hissing sound in just one spot of the brake travel. If I held the brakes there, it continued to hiss steadily. Apply them harder, and it went away.

Some internal seal in the booster going bad?
    Worth worrying about, or wait until it goes completely to replace?

it'll make noise when you step on the brakes. If you're hearing hissing at other times, then you have a problem. But I wouldn't condemn the booster just yet. There are other things in that area that could be making that noise, such as the parking brake auto release thing down there somewhere.

Comment

usual sign of a dead booster is you'll hear a steady sucking noise when holding the brake down. The parking brake and the vacuum dump valve for the cruise control are also down in that area though, so make sure its not those. Doing the booster is something of a bitch, and they will not give you a warranty on the booster unless you replace the master cylinder with it. Its a bitch to get those nuts off the booster under the dash, and you have to re-bleed to brakes once the MC is done. Not impossible, but you probably don't want to do all that just on a whim.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah, it was a steady sucking sound: but just in a narrow range of travel. Got past it (pushed brakes harder) and it went away.
        Haven't heard it since that one morning, but that one morning wasn't the first time either.
        Going to keep my ears open.
        On the other hand, I intend to keep this car for a few years more, so it's going to be an eventual repair anyway... and I always like new, shiny parts on my car to be good for another 20+ years

Do I need to pull out the dash, to get to the bolts?

Comment

no, it's just annoying to do. get that cover off from underneath. 15mm nuts, so use a deep 15mm socket, wrench and a couple different lengths of extensions, and possibly a swivel, and you'll get the 4 nuts that hold it. undo the rod from the brake pedal, and then you can remove it. The 90+ easier than the 89 down.

Comment

Working...
          X