power steering knocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

power steering knocking

ive noticed my 84 tudors power steering pump is knocking. i know its the ps because i took the belt off and i started the 5.0 up and there was no noise. i also grabed the pully and there is play in it. what you guys think? is there a bearing that can go out. The pump also looks to be original and if it is then the body of the car has 240,000 miles on it. let me know thanks
    1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
    1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

i called my local wreaker and they said i can get a used pump with the pully on for 20 bucks. is there a bearing that goes bad on the pump or is it the pully that comes loose. i think its pressed on but not sure
    1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
    1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

the pump shaft normally moves in and out some. Its just how they are made. No bearing that I'm aware of, though it probably does have something in there. Normal mode of failure on a PS pump is moaning like a cheap whore and/or pissing fluid out of the shaft seals.

and yes, the pulley is pressed on. You use a pulley puller to remove it. A reman power steering pump is 50 bucks. I'd go that route if it actually does need to be replaced. Also, replace the lines when you're in there. They are sure to be petrified and they are almost certain to leak if you try to recycle them.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

thanks gadget. its weird it just knocks around like a son of a bitch. only at certain rpms to and expecialy while in park. been doing this for months to and has got progressivly worse.

Comment

sure its not just the bracket bolts loose or something ? Its entirely possible its the pump, but thats just not the normal death they die. 200k is a lot of miles on a part though, so who knows. I think mine is pushing some 190k and its actually still quiet by some miracle.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've got 300k plus on my pump. It moans a little.
            1989 Grand Marquis LS
            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

New pump is like $30. Not worth messing with used. You re-use your old bracket. Pulley puller is free to rent at AutoZone.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
              X