Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

transmission input shafts: alignment problem?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transmission input shafts: alignment problem?!?

Hey! Maybe you'd guys know.
    Here's my transmission rebuild, all assembled, have just servos/accumulators/valve body left. Not doing a shift kit, unless there's any functional reason to do so (other than merely feeling sportier, without actually BEING so).
    The major change I did was the AODE swap into the AOD, with the direct drum and the reverse drum and, well, all the other internals also, with the exception of the pump which had to remain AOD, and the outer/middle input shaft (the outer outer shaft, is fixed and holds the converter stator). This modification gives me a 2" overdrive band. I got an A servo to drive the wider overdrive band.
    SO, that was all leading up to how I ended up with what's in the photo.

In addition to the pump, I also needed to reuse my AOD intermediate input shaft. The AODE did not have this funky 3-shaft setup, with 2 input shafts, the center for the 3rd and 4th direct drive function.
    So I pressed the AODE shaft out of the AODE direct drum, and installed the AOD shaft into the AODE drum, which is a superior stamped steel and is compatible with the AODE reverse drum with the 2" OD, the entire point of this modification.
    As you see, it seems, to sit a little high. Notice how it has exposed ends above the stator splines, and then the center direct drive shaft is buried a little bit into it?

Is there going to be enough leeway in the internal splines in the torque converter for this to work out, and not bottom out on that intermediate input? Or do I really need to a) buy an aftermarket intermediate shaft meant for this, apparently they're sold I think, or b) really try to make that shaft go in deeper. However, on the press, it truly seems bottomed out. It's reaching the tapering, thinning part of the cut threads, and the pressure required to push it was starting to spike like it was bottomed out. To get it significantly deeper, feels like it might just split the drum it's pressed into. I think it's done.

Does the AODE have the converter lock-up clutch in the converter or the transmission like the AOD does?

Comment

AODE has a lock up converter (clutch). Why would you swap AODE guts into an AOD? You have the same gear ratios between the two... If you're using the AOD input shafts, you should be alright. That looks right. The 2nd input shaft just kinda sits in there lol.

Comment

He used the larger overdrive band setup from the AODE and the better direct drum setup. Its just a strength/durability revision. Gearing is of course the same. Using 4R70w stuff to get wide ratio may or may not be useful depending on his setup, but thats a different discussion.

the shift kit is useful to help fix the stock shitty shift calibration. It reduces slippage between gears and will make things shift more like they ought to instead of how Granny Bluehair thought they should.

don't know about the shafts. It looks right to me, but I wouldn't say I have enough experience to be confident based on that.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

it perfectly normal alan said it looks fine.
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

excellent! reassuring to hear, from all. I was concerned.

Comment

Working...
            X