Extending driveshaft? Cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extending driveshaft? Cost?

I found a low milage aod from 88 Tbird to put in my 80 ltd. As I understand they are a little shorter than passenger cars aod. How much shorter? Or can a 4dr TC driveshaft made to work?
    “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

the drive shaft is shorter... the AOD should be the same except with the high rev governor.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

the drive shaft is shorter... the AOD should be the same except with the high rev governor. The TC drive shaft I think is actually the same or longer than an LTD.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

only the Lincoln AOD is longer. Ford and Mercury car transmissions are all the same length. Put it in, you'll be fine. The 88 Tbird doesn't have the high rev governer either. Not an HO in the Turd until 1992 I believe.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

that's handy info.

Comment

How do you tell if you've got a high rev governor?
            Found out my new AOD is the longer aod, so now I"m wondering if it's a truck trans, or a lincoln. If it's a lincoln transmission, then it'll have the high rev governor?

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
              How do you tell if you've got a high rev governor?
              The governor piston will have a hole machined in it for a high rev and it will be solid for a low rev. You have to pull the tail housing to get at the governor.

Comment

If its a Lincoln Mark VII transmission from 1988 onward, yes. If its out of an 86-87 Mark VII LSC, yes. If its out of a Towncar, definitely not. Mind you this presumes factory original stuff. My Mark VII has a Ford reman trans, and I'm about 95% sure its got a low rev governer in it. Its not supposed to, but it does WOT shifts about 4300 rpm.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

mercracer, do you mind posting a photo?
                  The tailshaft is just 4 bolts, and as it happens, the driveshaft is already out... so I think i'll take a look-see tomorrow night!

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
                    mercracer, do you mind posting a photo?
                    The tailshaft is just 4 bolts, and as it happens, the driveshaft is already out... so I think i'll take a look-see tomorrow night!
                    Here is one which has the hole in the end. The piston is solid on a low RPM one. I will double check when I get home to make sure this is the correct view. If the spring is in it doesn't make sense that you could see the piston on the outside.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Mercracer; 03-04-2012, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X