Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do 2.73 gears work?

I was just thinking on something.
    I had 3.08 gears, and sometimes I had a problem. My transmission would shift too soon under light acceleration, and I'd find myself doing idling level kind of rpms while I was actually trying to get onto the freeway. Then, you can't accelerate at all. So I'd have to give it more gas and kick down a gear.
    My engine starts to get rough at 500, 600 rpm, and would stall at 400rpm (I found that out, after my electric fan conversion, would demand tons of amperage from the alternator without warning, and the sudden load would stall the engine from a healthy 700rpm idle, to 400rpms or fatally below that).

I just went to 3.55 gears, and while not perfect, it IS better. Noticeably better. I don't have to kick down nearly as often.
    A mildly higher stall/ torque multiplying converter should finish the job, for a smooth daily driver.
    I made things worse with an HO swap, and with heads that favor higher rpms. I know the stock lopo heads are supposed to be boat anchors, but I think they really do produce more very low end torque.

So what is it like to drive in one of the sedans that came with 2.73s?
    I mean, can you almost stall the engine after an upshift? I know that the shifts are governed by output shaft rpm, so that if you have two cars identical in every way, including tv cable adjustment, just with different rear end ratios, that the 2.73 will at least shift at much later speeds (in mph), but at the same speeds according to the tach, so it won't force engine rpms to stallingly low rpms I guess... but that much load on an engine, is it even better for fuel economy?

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
    I was just thinking on something.
    I had 3.08 gears, and sometimes I had a problem. My transmission would shift too soon under light acceleration, and I'd find myself doing idling level kind of rpms while I was actually trying to get onto the freeway. Then, you can't accelerate at all. So I'd have to give it more gas and kick down a gear.
    My engine starts to get rough at 500, 600 rpm, and would stall at 400rpm (I found that out, after my electric fan conversion, would demand tons of amperage from the alternator without warning, and the sudden load would stall the engine from a healthy 700rpm idle, to 400rpms or fatally below that).

I just went to 3.55 gears, and while not perfect, it IS better. Noticeably better. I don't have to kick down nearly as often.
    A mildly higher stall/ torque multiplying converter should finish the job, for a smooth daily driver.
    I made things worse with an HO swap, and with heads that favor higher rpms. I know the stock lopo heads are supposed to be boat anchors, but I think they really do produce more very low end torque.

So what is it like to drive in one of the sedans that came with 2.73s?
    I mean, can you almost stall the engine after an upshift? I know that the shifts are governed by output shaft rpm, so that if you have two cars identical in every way, including tv cable adjustment, just with different rear end ratios, that the 2.73 will at least shift at much later speeds (in mph), but at the same speeds according to the tach, so it won't force engine rpms to stallingly low rpms I guess... but that much load on an engine, is it even better for fuel economy?
    If your engine was stalling from upshifting, you have engine issues. If anything, you should see that your AOD shifts earlier with the 3.55s than with your 3.08s. My trans is ridiculously early now. 1-2 10mph, 2-3, 20mph, 3-4 34mph... My trans used to shift with the 2.73s like this. 1-2 15mph, 2-3 25mph, 3-4, 45mph.

With 2.73s, you have a greater top speed, since your engine still has more rpm to go through before making a lot of noise but not going anywhere. This also proves for better highway fuel economy, since the engine mostly is at low rpms, consuming less gas, Whereas the 3.55s have a better off the line acceleration, you will ultimately have a lower top speed, but better around town mileage, since the wheels can get up to speed faster than with the 2.73s.

Comment

I exaggerated; it wasn't stalling, but it wouldn't efficiently get up to speed, or climb a hill, under light acceleration (shifting sooner, than under heavy acceleration).
      What gears do you have now? Thanks for the mph numbers; they're interesting to know.

Comment

be even worse with 2.73's

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

they'll work slowly
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
            I exaggerated; it wasn't stalling, but it wouldn't efficiently get up to speed, or climb a hill, under light acceleration (shifting sooner, than under heavy acceleration).
            What gears do you have now? Thanks for the mph numbers; they're interesting to know.
            3.55s

Comment

Are you sure the TV cable is adjusted correctly? Sounds like the pressure is low. You shouldn't have those kind of drivability issues with any (stock) gears.
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

2.73s around town suck pretty hard. esp if you do intown, hilly driving, while towing with a station wagon. ask me how i know lol. thing is, thats why you had all the rear gear options. that way, you could apply your panther, to your type of driving. but to be honest, between my brothes 3.27s town car and my 2.73s lincoln and wagon, i choose the 3.27s. 2.73s still lack balls at 70mph on the highway, so you still end up down shifting when hitting inclines/hills. iv found the 3.27s having the same fuel econ as 2.73s but, being much more driving friendly. i still think that, 3.55 is best for mixed driving.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I hated my 2.73's they were horrid even in fl. With my 4.10's and little tires, its almost as bad. This almost never downshifts when you want it too. But its still as fast as a stock panther that does.
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS
                  flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

i think it depends what kind of driving you do. i have 2 panthers. 1 is a bone stock 84 cfi with 2.73s and a 86 colony park with 3.23s. the colony park being heavier and a taller gear gets better mpgs around town and up to about 70 mph. then the 84 cfi 2.73s gets worse mpgs around town but over 65 mph is good. the 84 cfi has no probs accelerating and is real strong but takes longer to get to speed. i think the same that you have a tv pressure issue. hope this helps \matt
                    1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
                    1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

Sounds like you need to adjust the TV pressure higher to me.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

my 88 with 2.73s in it pulls pretty good from the line... but highway acceleration is nonexistent. Once it's in 3rd, you can forget about having any power. I do have the TV cable adjusted to hold it a bit longer than usual though and a shift kit and wide range gears in the trans so it does help around town. 3.55 L and an HO swap would work better though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Maxxed out, there is no more adjustment

Comment

My mark is maxed out... the bracket on the trans needs to be bent away a bit. The adjustment itself is nowhere near maxed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

How do 2.73 gears work? Poorly.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X