Which rear end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which rear end?

Is there any way to tell what rear end i have? Without taking it apart?

Its a 91 MGM. What were the options for rears back then?

you have an 8.8.. Now to find what gear you have you gotta look at your Differential tag

Comment

if the car is stock... you can check the AX code on the driver door VIN tag.

take that code to this thread: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ase-Read-First!

Post 2 will have your answer.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Oh yea forgot about that

Comment

So the differential tag is on the actual differential, or it that the same as the door jam tag? I found a K code axle in a junkyard but looking at the rest of the car is making me skeptical, doesn't appear to be a tow package car and it's not an ex cop car either, and I want to be 100% before I pull it, pay for it and install.
          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

the AX code is on the door tag. The diff tag is on the diff (stamped metal tag). The tag on my Mark says 3.08, but it has 4L## in it (4.something ratio locker)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

So it can say something on the tag but be something else?
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

if it's been opened... yes. Like whoever did all the drivetrain swaps on my Mark actually left the stock tag on the diff cover after swapping out the gears.

Comment

same here. I've got 3.55s inside now; it's my car, so I know that-- didn't see need to find a decal to match for the door sticker!

You can always take a 13mm socket and ratchet, take off the cover, and turn the gears. The ring gear will give the ratio on the edge, plain to see in some light.

Comment

Working...
                  X