Cragars SS 17" wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cragars SS 17" wheels

I'm looking to put a set of Cragar SS 17x8 wheels on my 1985 CV. I have the big brake upgrade in the front so I have to go with 16" or better on any wheels. My question is would these fit with no added spacer or would a need a small shim type spacer to bring them out a tad. Also whatbsize tire would be best. Any help or insight would be appreciate.

Specs are as follows:

17x8
    offset: 0mm
    Back spacing: 4.5"
    Bolt battery 5x4.5
    The Best
    Past and Present Any Questions...................

47 views, no replies. I'll be the guy... I assume these wheels are for the box in the pic that already has Marauder wheels, Correct? Assuming it is, why do you want to swap what you've got for a set of very similar wheels?

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
    Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

He might be going for that classic look, but with a modern wheel sizing and tire combo. I did that with the 17x8 slots for the '86 CV.

You won't need spacers for that wheel. It has the same specs as my wheels. What is your intended use for this car?

I wanted a better look and handling. While it handles really nice with the stiffer/lower springs, I would like to get a wider wheel to get 285 40R 17 tires out back.

BTW, I have always loved that box CV.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
        He might be going for that classic look, but with a modern wheel sizing and tire combo.

Packman
        I get that, I was just wondering. The Marauder wheels have more of a front wheel drive offset, with the spokes flush on the face of the wheel, and the Cragar SS with a 0mm offset will give more of a lip to the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
          He might be going for that classic look, but with a modern wheel sizing and tire combo. I did that with the 17x8 slots for the '86 CV.

You won't need spacers for that wheel. It has the same specs as my wheels. What is your intended use for this car?

I wanted a better look and handling. While it handles really nice with the stiffer/lower springs, I would like to get a wider wheel to get 285 40R 17 tires out back.

BTW, I have always loved that box CV.

Packman
          Thanks for responding. And you are right I'm going for a more classic look. What size tire you recommend. I would like to go wide as I can without rubbing issues.

I'm actually taking the MM wheels and sending them to California Chrome to get them black chromed. So I'll have a second set for my MM. Also thanks for the compliments.
          Last edited by NATEHAWK; 03-13-2012, 07:35 PM.
          The Best

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggy View Post
            47 views, no replies. I'll be the guy... I assume these wheels are for the box in the pic that already has Marauder wheels, Correct? Assuming it is, why do you want to swap what you've got for a set of very similar wheels?
            Yup for my 85 CV. Want a more classic look without going too big. I think the 17 works plus I get more sidewall.
            The Best

Comment

I didn't realize the box and Marauder in your sig were both yours. Very cool! Black chrome on the Marauder will look sick!

Comment

Originally posted by NATEHAWK View Post
                Thanks for responding. And you are right I'm going for a more classic look. What size tire you recommend. I would like to go wide as I can without rubbing issues.

I'm actually taking the MM wheels and sending them to California Chrome to get them black chromed. So I'll have a second set for my MM. Also thanks for the compliments.

I got 250 45R 17 on my 17x8 American Racing Wheels. If they make a 255 45R 17, you might be able to squeeze that on there. I don't know if you want something that wide all around or stagger the front and rears. Something like a 245 45R 17 up front and 255 45R 17 out back. That'll give you handling and that pro-touring look, that IMO, would work with our boxes.

At some point in the future I would like to get 245 45R 17 up front and 285 40R 17 out back. Though that would have to be on a custom American Racing wheel as they don't make anything wider than 17x8 for the slots

Packman

Comment

255/50/17 keeps the stock 27" diameter and is a fairly common size. 235/55/17 is the current mustang size and was the size on the last panthers-Also very common and 27' diameter.

I'm running the 255/50 on the wagon with the older bullitts and 1" spacers. 235/55 would fit perfectly without any spacer needed.

Any 94-03 17x8 mustang wheel should fit with the big brake kit and not need spacers with the 235/55
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Thanks guys for the feed back. I just purchased the wheels now looking at tires.
                    The Best

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggy View Post
                      Marauder wheels are also 18", not 17" so 17" tires are cheaper as well. I like paying less than 100 per tire with my stock 215/70 size. These thin tires are easy to spin too, can't wait to get 3.55 gears in it and roast these old tires off.
                      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
                      X