Brake Sizes on Panthers '88--09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Sizes on Panthers '88--09

I've seen comments regarding "the big brake conversion" and the like. But, I'm not familiar with which cars had what size brakes. I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to point me to a resource that would explain what cars have what size brakes.

The only difference in brake size that I'm aware of is on the boxes, the standard rear brake was 10" with an optional 11" rear drum on some models such as the towing package, some police packages (I've actually seen a '90 P72 that had 10" drums), and possibly wagons?

I'm interested in learning about the different brake sizes on basically all panthers of the last 20 years or so, not just boxes. Mainly interested in the variations within the same model year runs. For example, differences, if any, between stock and any optional brake sizes, or police brake sizes etc. of the '88-'91 version, the '92-'97 version, etc. etc.

Thanks.

Well, does anyone know if the aero/whale was available with different size brakes? If so, what sizes were on which models? Are they interchangeable?

Comment

They didn't offer different sizes within the year once they went to rear disc brakes. All 1995 models for example have the same size brakes. The only difference is the caliper and pad. Some had phenolic (plastic) pistons and some had steel pistons. I believe the piston is the same size, just the material changed. Pads are different only because of the springs that pop into the caliper.

79-91 boxes have single caliper front pistons, and a 11" rotor. Rotor is an integral hub type, meaning the bearings sit inside the rotor. Caliper pistons are 73mm, and steel or plastic. PI models got steel. Rear drums are 10x2" or 11x2" depending on options.

92-94 has the same size rotor and caliper pistons, but the rotor is a slip-on type. Hub bearing assembly is a sealed unit. Spindle and such are different, but other than the improvement in alignment adjustments there is no significant performance upgrade here. Upper arms are forged instead of stamped steel, so there is probably some stiffness improvement. These arms bolt directly onto a box, but will not mate up to box spindles. Rear discs are 11.4" non-vented, 48mm caliper piston.

95-97 has a slightly revised spindle that is similar in design to 92-94, but not interchangeable. Same slip-on type rotor and sealed hub bearing. 66mm caliper piston, 11.45" front rotor. (no, that piston size doesn't sound right to me, but thats the info I'm finding here). Rear brakes identical to 92-94, 11.4" non-vented rotor, 48mm piston.

98-02, same spindle as 95-97, but different bearing, rotor, etc. Same design, hat rotor and sealed bearing. Front calipers are dual 48mm pistons, rotors are 12.45". Rears are again the same as other years.

so in a nutshell, the big brake swap for a box consists of this:
      stock lower arms, or any 79-02. They will all interchange.
      lower ball joint for 92-02, all the same
      spindle for 95-02
      hub bearing 98-02
      rotor and caliper for 98-02
      brake hose for 98-02, and a metric to standard adapter to plumb it in
      upper control arm for 92-94
      ball joint for any 92-02. There are 2 slightly different ones, but they are functionally equivalent. Early ones are handed, late ones are not. Many places list the late one as a sub for the early one anyway.

the models with steel piston calipers will swap for plastic pistons as long as you get pads to match the calipers.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        They didn't offer different sizes within the year once they went to rear disc brakes. All 1995 models for example have the same size brakes. The only difference is the caliper and pad. Some had phenolic (plastic) pistons and some had steel pistons. I believe the piston is the same size, just the material changed. Pads are different only because of the springs that pop into the caliper.

79-91 boxes have single caliper front pistons, and a 11" rotor. Rotor is an integral hub type, meaning the bearings sit inside the rotor. Caliper pistons are 73mm, and steel or plastic. PI models got steel. Rear drums are 10x2" or 11x2" depending on options.

92-94 has the same size rotor and caliper pistons, but the rotor is a slip-on type. Hub bearing assembly is a sealed unit. Spindle and such are different, but other than the improvement in alignment adjustments there is no significant performance upgrade here. Upper arms are forged instead of stamped steel, so there is probably some stiffness improvement. These arms bolt directly onto a box, but will not mate up to box spindles. Rear discs are 11.4" non-vented, 48mm caliper piston.

95-97 has a slightly revised spindle that is similar in design to 92-94, but not interchangeable. Same slip-on type rotor and sealed hub bearing. 66mm caliper piston, 11.45" front rotor. (no, that piston size doesn't sound right to me, but thats the info I'm finding here). Rear brakes identical to 92-94, 11.4" non-vented rotor, 48mm piston.

98-02, same spindle as 95-97, but different bearing, rotor, etc. Same design, hat rotor and sealed bearing. Front calipers are dual 48mm pistons, rotors are 12.45". Rears are again the same as other years.

so in a nutshell, the big brake swap for a box consists of this:
        stock lower arms, or any 79-02. They will all interchange.
        lower ball joint for 92-02, all the same
        spindle for 95-02
        hub bearing 98-02
        rotor and caliper for 98-02
        brake hose for 98-02, and a metric to standard adapter to plumb it in
        upper control arm for 92-94
        ball joint for any 92-02. There are 2 slightly different ones, but they are functionally equivalent. Early ones are handed, late ones are not. Many places list the late one as a sub for the early one anyway.

the models with steel piston calipers will swap for plastic pistons as long as you get pads to match the calipers.
        Thanks very much for that info -- much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X