Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fmx to AOD swap finished------trans fluid leak.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fmx to AOD swap finished------trans fluid leak.

Put aod yesterday in started the car and it moves under its own power. Looked under the car and its dripping trans fluid from torque converter area. Could too much fluid (put 10qts total) cause front transmission seal to blow out?
    “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

a fully empty AOD needs about 12 quarts, so I doubt you're over-full. Check the fluid level and see what it shows, but more than likely if it is the seal leaking, it was already bad.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Also if I unscrew retaining nuts from aod torque converter studs from fmx flexplate I can move it (TQ) backward about 3/16 to a 1/4 with the tranny attached to the engine. Could it be that 28 oz AOD flexplate it thicker than fmx 28 oz flex plate? My another guess is that TQ is becoming unseated from pump shaft when TQ retaining nuts are tightened.
      “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        a fully empty AOD needs about 12 quarts, so I doubt you're over-full. Check the fluid level and see what it shows, but more than likely if it is the seal leaking, it was already bad.
        All the seals where replaced.

Comment

i believe that there should be some play in the conveter if my memory serves me correct
          1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
          1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

the converter will move if the nuts are off. If it doesn't, thats a bad thing and usually means its not seated properly. If the seals were replaced, my guess would be one didn't go in right, or theres a scratch on the converter snout or something.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X