bad steering box - budget options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad steering box - budget options

I've finally tracked down that the main source of my steering vagueness is indeed the steering box itself. I can twist the steering shaft and see it move right at the box, but not any movement of the pitman arm at all.

So I have a couple questions:

1. how do I adjust the steering box? isn't there a way to tighten it up a bit? how temporary is this fix, and what are the odds that my not-exactly-rust-free car will even allow me to get these 27 year old fittings to move to adjust it? Is this even worth messing with? I have over an inch of more or less free play at the steering wheel.

2. I wanna avoid the messing around with custom lines for a 98-02 box. Is there a drop-in upgraded box over a civi-spec 1985 version? Are there any quality issues with rebuilt stuff?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

For adjustment, look at the screw coming out right in the middle of this pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqJHJCME63(5C-Q(BO0rMHw2Uw~~60_57.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1268838

It's on the top when in the car. You loosen the nut and tighten the screw, then lock it back down with the nut.

I'll leave it to others to suggest how much to tighten. When I first adjusted it I took it to stop and backed it off a ways and it did help (but it still was far from 'as new!').

Then I gave it just a 'touch more' and now it binds. I'm replacing it with a 98 cop box but debated going stock. According to my spec book the only difference in power steering systems between cop CVs/towncars, and CV/MGMs is the cop/TCs have a slightly higher flow rate, which I assume is the pump and not the box. I think it's got the part numbers, I'll dbl-check.

Changing the box is very simple but may be muscular. Before you mount a replacement box be sure to get the snap ring/circlip/c ring or whatever they call it this week off the pitman shaft seal. It's a lot easier when it's out of the car, my experience (assuming you're replacing the seal).

Pete
    Originally posted by gadget73
    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

By der vay... I found a hydraulic repair/supply house locally that can bubble flange lines, so I'm going to buy a stock pressure hose for the 85, cut the bubble off, slide the 'new' fitting off the '98 on, and have them rebubble it, $15. Hopefully it actually works. Maybe someone out your way can do it? I found it looking for an adapter fitting.

Pete
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375

Comment

Interesting. I guess it can't hurt much to give the adjustment a try. So you're saying you've found no stated difference in literature between the police/towncar box itself and the crown vic box? It would be hard to imagine the police and towncar models having steering boxes that were different in feel or ratio from the vics and GMQs in the same way...

Also got your PM and will let you know.

much appreciated.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

the adjustment can get you by for a while, but its really more of a set-up adjustment than a fix for wear.

when you run out of adjustment, throw a stock box in and drive it for another 25 years 100,000 miles.
          faster safer cheaper in the long run than milking a few more miles/months out of a failing box.
          Last edited by bigbeigeboat; 03-21-2012, 02:40 PM.
          You know the car runs well when the only things left to work on are the rear door cigarette lighters.

Comment

Roll the wheel over a full turn before messing with the screw. They will always be most worn in the center, so if you adjust the meshload to tighten it up in the middle, it will bind in a turn. You want to make sure that doesn't happen.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

good stuff people.

So what am I feeling for when adjusting? Do I just turn until it gets a little harder to turn? Do I have to feel the difference at the steering wheel to know where I'm at?

Comment

You sneak up on it. Jack up the front so the wheels are off the ground. Adjust it say a 1/4 turn, get in, and turn the wheel lock to lock, you are feeling for smooth travel all the way (keeping in mind the straight ahead portion will be sloppy), when you get too tight you will feel it in your steering wheel as it becomes difficult to turn, if that happens, you are tooo tight. Back off an 1/8th and try again.

How long have you got? Not long. Once its worn, its worn, and by adjusting it, your just speeding up the wear on already worn parts. Just start looking for a low km box in the yard and your set.

Alex.

Comment

I hear what people are saying. I think it's new box or just leave it alone for now. it's not really any worse than when I got it 3-4 years ago.

Comment

remans are like 100 bucks down here, guess you guys arent so lucky

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

lucky? in kanadia, there be no such thing as luck!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

In Canada, luck brings you?

Pete

Comment

sorta. in kanadia, you make luck, feel lucky!

Comment

Shouldn't kanadia's sayings be in horribly broken Frenchish?
                            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

not always. as long as they make little sense.

john, have you thought about a junk yard steering box? just food for thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X