lug nuts, really stupid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
    If you are installing steel wheels use you can use either of these.

However if you are going with turbins or any aluminum wheels, you will have to get the acorn nuts on the right.
    I run the ones on the left with no issues. Originally, the turbines were on the '91 GM. Mom didn't like 'em, so I switched 'em with the steelies from the '88. Lug nuts were the same on both cars.

Comment

I must have different wheels or something, because the stock lug nuts went below the surface of the turbins, so there was no way to tighten them.

Comment

With the turbines, the lug nuts will go down so that about a 1/4 inch of stud is sticking out.

With the steelies, the lug nuts will go down so that about a 1/2 inch of stud is sticking out.

I think. I'll have to double check that sometime.

Comment

Johnnie, did you Vic have steelies before you put turbines on? Maybe the steelies used shorter nuts or something :confused:
          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by grandpaslincoln
            Johnnie, did you Vic have steelies before you put turbines on? Maybe the steelies used shorter nuts or something :confused:
            Yeah, but the lug nuts were standard, as they were cycled through. I used to have 15"X8" steel wheels. I would imagine it came with 15"X7" wheels.

Comment

15x6.5" :P

Edit: I see now on my older style turbines that they do go into the wheel. I have longer, open end nuts tho.
              '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
              '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

I use the ones on the right with my aluminum wheels, but for my steelies I use the shorter lugnuts(on the left), since that's the only way my Ford center caps will fit. My stock Merc center caps work with those longer acorn style lugs(on the right), though..

Good Day
                1993 GM LS 244K
                29.5mm PI front bar, ENS greaseable bushings, 21mm rear bar, ENS bushings, endlinks. Black steelies, center caps. Stewart-Warner mechanical oil pressure guage. K&N filter

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII 144K
                All airbags are now coils/struts. Junk tranny, motor donor car

Mercury Owners Group

If you don\'t like what I have to type, don\'t read it. It is only my opinion, nothing more.

Comment

Working...
                X