t5 or aod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

t5 or aod

as some of you may know my trans is getting weak. there is a aod used tranny for sale thats in a 87 mustang for 350 bucks. low milage and says he will take me out on a drive to see how it shifts before he pulls the tranny out. now heres the big question. ive wanted to do a t5 swap for years. you guys think i should jump on this aod or save up and do the t5. remember this is my dd so drivability, reliability, and mpgs are in mind. this will be for my 84 tudor 306 cfi.
    1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
    1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

honestly if this is your daily driver, you want it back on the road as fast as possible. A T5 is not a straight forward swap, and requires a decent amount of fabrication and modification for it to even fit (clutch pedal assembly, different brake booster, etc.) The AOD is almost drop in swap. Only thing you'd have to change on that trans would be the shift lever and the tv lever with your levers from your original trans. If he's willing to show you how it shifts make sure you have him take you on the highway, to see how it does in overdrive and how well it downshifts. Only thought before you go buying the AOD is, is it from a 5.0 or a 4 cyl or something?

Comment

has 103k and is in a 5.0 87 mustang. says he is doing a t5 swap in 2 weeks as thats when his trans comes in the mail. he seems to be pretty striaght forward on this being a good trans and said he would run through all the gears with me. its a stock 5.0 hatch and its been babied. i want a t5 so bad tho. im not to wooried about fab work but the down time would suck as i would have to drive the 11 mpg plymouth fury to work.
      1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
      1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

he is taking me for a spin at 3 ot 4 today so we shall see.

Comment

If the AOD is good (?) I would agree with John and do that swap. I would also suggest a brass grommet for the linkage since it is off anyway. Easier and puts you on the road quickly. You can always save up and plan for the T5 at a later date. Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

If you have a spare car, the facilities, the time and like wrenching, I would do the manual swap. Do you have fun driving the fury without getting tickets?
            Jay
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

not going today. the guy said tomorrow now. haha driving the fury is awesome theres nothing like a built big block in a huge car except for the gas milage is about 11 and if i drive it how id like to its about 8mpgs. luckly the cops only mess with the ricers around these parts. thanks for the advice. matt

Comment

besides the shift linkage and the tv is there anyother diferrences between my trans and a 86 gt aod. thanks

Comment

I believe there is a higher rpm governor installed in the mustang transmission.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

HO governor and a different stall converter. That and it has less miles and isn't broken.

Comment

yes a trans that down shifts by itslef would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by 84merc951 View Post
                        yes a trans that down shifts by itslef would be great.

Did AODs ever do this or have all of the ones I've owned been old and worn out?
                        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

mine is just worn out. 240k with quite a bit of cluch material. i still think its the governor that stick because the trans x treatment did help but its only a matter of time till i start dropping parts down the street. he said $350 obo and he wants a deposit. he only lives like 5 miles away so we shall see tomorrow. thanks matt

Comment

If you can swing the T5, I'd go for it hands down. You get a lower 1st gear (3.35) and a slightly higher (not really noticeable though) OD. You'll gain acceleration and MPG by swapping over and drop a few pounds off the car in the process. The only downside is tracking down the parts, paying for said parts, and the time and asspain involved. I can say from experience that in the end, the results are totally worth it. It all comes down to how much time and money you're willing to put into it, but now is the perfect opportunity to do the swap if you're serious about it.
                            1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                              Did AODs ever do this or have all of the ones I've owned been old and worn out?
                              you have had crappy AODs or misadjusted ones. THey dont ever seem to work right with stock TV pressure adjustments. Give it more and the trans will usually downshift again.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X