'09 CVPI rear-end...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'09 CVPI rear-end...

So I just plucked a complete rear from an '09 CVPI at the junkyard...all I really wanted was the brakes but someone had broken the cross-shaft retaining bolt in the carrier so I ended up pulling the whole thing. Back at the shop, I drilled the crarrier on either side of the cross-shaft and the shaft came right out. Now I'm at a cross-roads...do I simply take all the brake goodies off and toss them onto my '85 tudor(which I already have 3.73 trac-lock installed) OR do I use the '09 rear end(with my currrent carrier and 31-spline spider gears from the '09). If I used the '09 rear end, I would omit the upper control arms in favor of a torque arm and watts-link...the necessary welding is a non-issue for me and the '09's use a factory watts-link which would just require me to go back to the yard and pull that stuff before the car goes to the crusher and fab up a torque arm and mount. Every car I've driven with a torque arm is wonderful and I think that's part of my modernizing process, I've seen a lot of kits for mustangs that do pretty much exactly what I'm considering doing.

The end goal with this car is to have a super-capable DD that's at home on the dragstrip or the auto-cross.

I will also be upgrading the front brakes to '98-'02 spec, it currently has '95-'97 style front brakes. This summer(or whenever I get all the port work done) it's getting a healthy 351W with a FAST EZ-EFI and T-5.

Let me know what you guys think...regardless progress will be slow.

Thanks,
    Don
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

i think the watts link is a phenominal idea. You could also cheat and just run a panhard bar too.
    1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Will the 09 brake bits fit on the old axle? Don't know if anyone has tried that. Would be nice to know if they did. Honestly though if you're up for fabbing the watts link stuff, go for it. Dont know if your 85's rear bushings have been replaced or not but even when fresh, the back end isn't absolutely rock solid stable. At a minimum you really need a panhard or something for really proper lateral location. That stock 4 link rig is just not optimal. There is a reason why kits to do that for Mustangs exist, and if you didn't already realize it, whats under a Vic is just a slightly larger version of whats under a Mustang, complete with the same problems and weaknesses.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Exactly...all my old fox body t-birds and my '85 do strange things over sharp bumps at speed...feels like the back end wants to step out. The more I'm looking at this, the more it looks like a pain...I MAY just use the brake parts for now and see if they fit decent with minimal modification and keep the '09 housing for a torque arm set up next winter. That way I can compare how it hooks up with the 351/T5 in it from stock 4-bar setup to the torque arm set-up. Ideas are still rolling around in my head.
        '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Well, the '09 housing is in the scrap heap...it doesn't have enough webbing on either side of the pinion to do the torque arm idea. If the '85 uses a vibration damper bolted to the rear like the fox mustangs(which i think it does, have to look) then I'll be going through with it probably next spring. I think I'm gonna do like Crownvicman said and end up going with a panhard bar which should leave a little more room for the exhaust too.

Comment

Working...
          X