Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

big brakes plus aftermarket? any calipers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

big brakes plus aftermarket? any calipers?

I can not seem to get my head out of the box and into other projects. My front brakes are plenty thick but acting up. maybe warped rotors and a sticky caliper.

I have already done a partial upgrade. I used 93 brake parts. This allowed me to use the hpp wheels and center caps but did not give me bigger rotors. I believe I need spindle, hub, rotors, calipers and hose plus adapter to complete the upgrade.

Since I am thinkng about completing the upgrade, I am considering going beyond stock while I am at it. I have seen some upgrade rotors and pads. This is borne out in Pirate's sticky brake thread. I have not seen any caliper and hose upgrades. Am I just not looking in the right places?

Jay
    Last edited by jaywish; 04-20-2012, 09:22 PM.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

The '98-'02(give or take a year here or there) have some serious front brakes...big rotors and massive 2 piston calipers...I think 17" wheels may be mandatory but I'm not sure....I just picked a set from an '00 to replace the '96 stuff I currently have on my '85...I think the spindles may work from '95 with the later stuff but I wasn't sure so I picked the later spindles and all just in case. I know there are a few people here who have done rear disc conversion and I'll be doing that soon with '09 CVPI vented rear brakes.

Regardless, I would recommend a later model master cyl/booster so it pushes enough fluid and gives you a good pedal feel...I have one from a '99 CVPI that has a 1 1/16" bore that I'm hoping will work well. I just have to order an adjustable prop. valve and get a whole mess of bubble flare to double flare adapters(available at most parts stores).

Good luck,
    Don
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

The stock MC is actually the same size as the later one, but there are differences in valving that are worth doing. The later model dual diaphragm booster also has more surface area for more assist. Mine has 02ish CVPI stuff now, and its considerably better than the original 1986 master cyl / booster / valving was. Prop valve on mine is stock for the late model car, a non-ABS model. The trick with the valving though, it depends what your rear brakes are. You want the stock valving if you have drums in back, but late model if you have disc in the back. If you use disc brake valving on drum brakes, they won't hold any pressure to keep the cups from folding back in and leaking. The front brakes will also start to engage before the back ones do. Drum brake valving holds off the front brakes until you get some amount of pressure in the system to make sure the rear shoes are in contact with the drum surface.

I think Blaze86Vic sourced some stainless brake hoses that worked but I have no idea what they were from. Maybe if you can dig up one of his old threads on the topic. I seem to recall they were for something totally unrelated, maybe a Toyota or Jeep or something else very non-Panther.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Welleventually it would be good to do the rears but for now I was thinking of the fronts. So I guess I will leave the proportional valve alone. It is a wagon which I believe has a different booster for some reason.

I was originaly wondering if there were aftermarket calipers that would work with the 98-02 spindles. Stil I guess the factory ones will likely be enough of an upgrade.

I believe there are two possibilities, regular-synthetic pistons and police-steel pistons. I do not know what the plus and tradeoffs are using one vs the other. I am purely guessing that a detraction on the police units is rust, leaking and seizing. The steel would likely have some other advantage though.

Anybody know the benefits and detriments of each?

Jay
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

the steel is a little stronger and isn't inclined to crack like the plastic is. In reality though, you really have to abuse the brakes pretty hard to crack one of those plastic pistons. On the other hand, rust also isn't a big problem if you change your brake fluid every 5 years or so to clear out any accumulated moisture.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So maybe I will not be picky when I source the donor parts and take whatever comes up. I would probably trade them in on rebuilts. Then again I should find out if there is even a core charge on rebuilt calipers from my flaps. If no core then I will not even need the calipers from a yard.
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Raybetos has some specal loaded calipers that come with police pads and special high temperature seals. Seals only come with the loaded calipers. I have a supplier that sells them to me at fleet price any raybbestos Mckay noris parts.
              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

That sounds like a good way to go. If it is easy for you to get the part numbers that would eliminate some potential confusion.

Jay
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I'd bet that if you traded in plastic pistons for steel, they wouldn't even notice.

Comment

There are some aftermarket ones for 98-02s but there Brimbo? about 4K on sale. Idid design a bracket for 6 piston radial mount Wilwoods on a 98-02 spindle. Dont know if I will ever make a set. Also requires min 17" wheels some maybe have to be 18 depending on design.

Comment

Yea $4k would be way over budget. That is what I was talking about, but is that not amazing, there are so many of these cars out in the world but the performance options are relatively few.
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Not many people hotrod these, so there is little market for better brakes beyond what the factory provided. Keep in mind the target market for these things and ask yourself how often your great aunt Bessie has complained about insufficient stopping power in her Towncar, and longed for a set of 4 piston calipers to drag it down from a 150 mph run down the highway so she could swing the exit to her church's bake sale.

But seriously, the 98-02 stuff works and well. Its so much better than the stock box stuff that I think you'll be happy with it. There are better pad options too, which can help. I'm running Performance Friction pads on mine with no complaints. If I really need to stop the car, it will definitely stop.

Comment

Yes any significant improvement will be great. I think the current brakes are ok for the car as it is, but since I have to get into them anyway, might as well make them better.
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

There are some other aftermarket breaks for the 03s and up because of the Marauders. Ford blew it because they never had a HIPO Panther. A lightning powered version of a Box when they went EFI, HO options of the 351s before that carbed or such, 4valve versions of the 4.6 with forced induction even 2 valve versions would have put the Que tip car on the map for lots of equipment aftermarket. Probably kept sales up and garinteed body parts avalble such ass can be forund for 70s and earlyer Fords. Doubt it will ever happen for the boxes for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              Not many people hotrod these, so there is little market for better brakes beyond what the factory provided. Keep in mind the target market for these things and ask yourself how often your great aunt Bessie has complained about insufficient stopping power in her Towncar, and longed for a set of 4 piston calipers to drag it down from a 150 mph run down the highway so she could swing the exit to her church's bake sale.
                              ROTFLMAO!!!

Pete
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                              1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                              1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Working...
                              X