Needing help with New Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needing help with New Shocks

Good morning everyone! I have a lil money in the pocket and need to do something with it. The first in line of upgrades to the TC is better handling suspension. I keep hearing everone talking about the PI shocks and what an improvement. So yesterday, I head down to Oreilly's to buy a set. There are shocks that specifically say "except police", but none that say "police, PI, etc". The only thing that I did see was "HD and Hauling/Trailering". Can someone give actual part numbers and then anyone that has any suggestions to go along with it. I also have concerns: 1) Does this change with the big brake upgrade 2) Does this change with the upgraded front suspension 3) would 1" lowering springs change this. Basically, if I put these on this evening, is there anything that I may do in the future that will interfer. I dont want to buy them and then turn around and have to buy something different. Thanks in advance. Bob
    sigpic 1989 Lincoln Towncar, All Stock.....Today

Gabriel front pi valveing front 89221, motor craft ashv 1009 Monroe 550011 kyb 5521 -rear police valveing
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Just a heads up the last lowered car I was in had a very rough ride, not something I'd want in a panther. The last combo I had were Gabriel up front and kyb in the rear.with energy suspension swaybarlinks up front. Car handled extremely well and also had limo springs in the rear too.

Comment

Thanks for the part #'s Zoom. I know we discussed your rides, but the part numbers help.

Comment

yuppers, i found those on rockauto yesterday , they are having a sale on them, wonder if the gmn discount works with them?

Comment

actually if you use the right springs, you can lower these without making them ride too terribly. Tom's white car didn't ride harshly at all. Lincolns probably will have different results than Vics because of the extra weight though.

shocks are the same physically from 1979-2002. should work with any brake arrangement. Lowering should also be OK, as long as you don't go too crazy. an inch isn't a problem, but if you go too low, make sure the suspension hits the stop before the shock hits the bottom of it's stroke. If you don't remove the stock bump stops, you're safe.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gadget. Thanks for the info. I really want to get a bit of rake to the car. I think an inch drop in the front and a bit bigger tire on the back will do. I was just concerned about the other stuff it could throw off.

Comment

i have monroe 550010 police units on the front of my 88 town car....550011 police units on the rear.....with no bad issues...firmed up the car nicely

Comment

I put KYB GR2 cop shocks all around in mine. I think they're for a 2000 or something. They're good but I still have my stock springs in the front (CC819 out back) so it's not as stiff as it could be.
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I just installed Bilsteins in the rear and I am waiting to finish the front end rebuild. They really stiffened the rear suspension up; I expect the same for the front as well. I have the same Speedway springs that I had on there for the last few years. Hopefully I'll have these installed by the weekend and report the difference.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                    X