Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires goin flat due to bad alignment?

Hello All,
    I have an 89 colony park, 182,000 in it. One day I started noticing my right front tire would leak air and I'd have to fill it back up every few days. After awhile, the right rear tire would start to do the same thing. I know the alignment is off, since even when I put air in the car it would still pull right. Now, the left rear tire will go flat in a night or two, at a much faster pace than the other two. I've replaced all three tires at some point, and the tire guy told me those kind of rims can't bend. shrug. I was hoping maybe somebody could point me in the right direction, as to how to go about fixing all this. If it's just the alignment or something more tragic. Not particularly mechanically logical, so would really appreciate some input. Thanks in advance

It's something with the tire itself, unless you've worn the tires down to the chords it's not an alignment thing.

Generally there are 3 possibilities:

1. you just plain have a hole/puncture in all the tires

2. bad valve core/stem. Have them replaced either way if they look bad in any way. Old, cut, etc. I've cut the rubber stem while putting on covers before.

3. rusty/corroded rim sealing surface. Especially likely if you have alloy/aluminum wheels. Sometimes a shop will resist fixing this (basically grinding it smooth) because it's fairly time consuming and an older car owner may resist paying extra.

The 2nd and 3rd option, at least, are not things you can really fix in your driveway unless you're a glutton for punishment and feel like buying tools I doubt you have. The simplest thing would be finding a shop you trust and telling them to fix it. 50 bucks a tire TOPS unless of course the tire isn't repairable.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Thanks, I replaced the left rear two days ago, put it back, and it was flat the next day. So, maybe the stem(s) or the rim sealings? Nice to know it isn't connected to the alignment though.

Comment

Could also be that the tire bead came unsealed, or has a bad bead.

Comment

bad alignment would chew the tread off, not make it go flat. If its leaking in a day, you should be able to get it wet and find the air leak.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckT View Post
            Thanks, I replaced the left rear two days ago, put it back, and it was flat the next day. So, maybe the stem(s) or the rim sealings? Nice to know it isn't connected to the alignment though.
            My bet would be the bead sealing surface. It's the number 1 thing I look at when there's flat tires and aluminum/chrome rims. If you want to find out for sure. Fill the tire up with air, and with a foamy solution (simple green works great for this) spray the rim where it meets the tire. If the leak is as bad as it going down the next day, you should see it. Don't forget to check the inside sealing surface as well (Facing inside of vehicle).

Comment

This is why you need to be careful on where you get service. Iv seen guys chew chunks of bead from a tire, while installing them on rims.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

What material are you rims made of?
                Have you checked that the core is snug?
                Pull the valve stem sideways (and I dont mean crank it over flat) and look for cracks in the rubber around the base.

Comment

I've seen wheels rusted through as well. they tend to do it at the weld line as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Steel or aluminum?
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                    X