Shift Indicator Cable from JY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift Indicator Cable from JY

Hey guys, my car has had the misaligned indicator needle since the day I bought it. It doesn't really bother me, but it would be a nice thing to have fixed. I'm about to head down to a JY in Charlotte that has three box Town Cars (an 87 and two 88s) that look relatively intact. Do you think it would be worth it to pull a new indicator cable from one of the cars there? The last junkyard I went to wanted me to buy the whole dash cluster with the cable, but I don't think this yard really cares. Is it a pain in the ass to remove?

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

if yours is actually working, but not in the right place, just take the column shrouds off and zip-tie the bastage in place. You will probably not ever find one intact in a junk yard... and if you do, you will probably break it taking it off. Just make sure the zip tie is UNDER the cable and over the collar. This can and will be a good trick to figure out, but shouldn't take any more than 30 minutes all told to get fixed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

it not really the shift cable its self as much as the indicator wire thingy, usueally when the trans has been replace the collar inevitably gets broke and will move cuasing the indicator to be off a little bit.its on the column .
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Go to Ford and see if they have any. I got mine from Ford and they had a few remaining. Junkyard ones would be very rare. And even if you found one now, it would most likely break due to the cold temps and what you need to do to take it off.

Comment

Working...
        X