Issues after BB swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    ok, so you have the old style frame mounted valve. When that was removed from my car, the brake plumbing was changed to late style. The fronts use non-ABS hoses so it has the built-in T splitter in the driver's side hose. The rear brakes have the thread-in prop valve on the side of the master cylinder and thats it. There is now a connector down at the frame where the old prop valve lived. The old prop valve is gone entirely. At some point I need to tie the old brake switch wiring into the float switch on the new master cyl, but I keep forgetting to snatch the plug from a later car in the yard.

Anyway, the old style valving does 3 things. First its a proportioning valve to reduce pressure to the rear brakes. Second it is a residual valve to hold some pressure. Third, it serves to hold pressure off the front brakes until the rears get to some 150 psi or something. I think they call that the metering valve function. It also has a shuttle valve in it thats supposed to trip the brake warning light in the event of a leak and plug off the open port to some extent so the master doesn't run totally dry. Not all of them have both front and rear brake lines fed in though. the ones that only have the rear brake line connected are just a prop and residual valve.
    Yep that sounds like it, it is below the master and has 5 lines going to it. 2 from the master front and rear reservoirs, 2 going to the front brake calipers individually, and 1 going to the rear brakes where they T off on the frame underneath the rear of the car. I did some more road testing after increasing the pushrod length a bit, it will lock them up when I hit them now, I think I was noticing that 150psi threshold that holds off the pressure on the front brakes. Pretty sure it is fine for now, I'll take a look at the rear pads and see if they are wearing prematurely or the rotors are blueing but I think everything is fine.
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Working...
    X