Which tires are good/reasonable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which tires are good/reasonable

I am looking to replace tires on my LTC. They are 215 70R15. I am kinda tempted to updgrade to a bigger tire 225 75r15 but don't want to screw up the suspension and speedometer.

I have heard the Cooper, Michellin, Pirelli, Hancook are good tires, no?

If I am looking for a good white wall set, does anybody know which tires are pretty good?
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

The upgrade to 225-70-15 will not seriously effect your speedometer. The difference, if any, will be negligible.

I still must say, look for a set of used 16" wheels and get 225-60-16 tires. That would leave your 15" set for 215-75-15" snow tires. With snow tires, skinny is better.

You should have a greater selection of 16" tires and be in position for a brake upgrade in the future.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I ran Hankook Optimo 727s on my 86. They're a really nice tire. Not to hard on the wallet either. Run stock size for proper handling. 225/75/15s on a towncar not gonna ride the same...

Comment

i ran 225/75/15's on the towny years ago cause they were 24 bucks each and i was poor........cost me a speeding ticket, the speedo was 9 mph off lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

White walls are getting harder and harder to find for a decent price/decent quality tire. You may have to paint your own on the damn things one of these days!
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I have Hercules MX4 plus tires on my colony park. They are 225/70/15 and have a white wall. They were very reasonable in price too. Also, after running a 225/70 tire, I would never consider a 215 again. Plus, the cop cars back then used a 225/70 tire.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Police cars also had a 1/2" wider wheel. 225/70 works fine on stock wheels, but I wouldn't do a 225/75. Too tall.

16" wheels are a nice upgrade. Gets rid of some of the sidewall.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I bought these at discount tire, GT CHAMPIRO VP1 P215/70R15 MILEAGE- 40,000 paid $260 out the door
                WARNING: Above advise is based on actual experience or just plain common sense. In the event said advise is determined to be incorrect you are entitled to a full refund of exactly what you paid for it.lol
                85 LTD Crown Vic Coupe 302 CFI Dual Exhaust No Cats Thrush Welds
                pwr windows, locks, seat, antenna
                cruise, tilt, white on white, maroon interior

Comment

I just bought a set of Cooper white walls 215/70r15 for like 75 bucks a piece from sears, $450 with installation road hazard and all that. It's not the best deal but I had to call around to like five or six places to find white walls so I just got em once I found em. I don't know much about tires (aside from what I've learned here) but I'm happy with em and they look real nice and white lol. Makes me smile.

I was considering painting white walls like potatoes said because I'm always looking for the cheaper alternative but after doing a good amount of research I was like "fuck that". Most of the crap either cracks and falls apart, turns brown in days, or needs to be reapplied every couple months. The PORT-A-WALL white wall inserts seem like a good idea but I've heard stories of them ripping to shreds at high speeds and damaging the fender... I can't say if the risks outweigh the benefits but there are risks.

Tire Wet from Advanced Auto Parts has been on sale for a while now... just throwing that out there.

Comment

Unfortunately, there's cheaper/old design tires with whitewalls (like the Coopers and GT's) and there's newer blackwall stuff like the Hankooks. There's basically been no new whitewall tire designed since Y2K. The quality of Coopers and other american brands aren't bad per se (other than the Firestone FR710s which are to be avoided at all cost), but they're just old designs and you could get noticeably better handling with modern stuff. But then, you have no whitewalls which really does look lame with most stock wheels.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I have a set of very old 235/70/15 Michelin X whitewalls purchased from Costco years ago on my '84 Towncar. I like the look and heft of a big tire on a big car. I hate to think about replacements eventually as Coker Tire (super expensive) may be the only option for whitewall tires in the future.
                      Last edited by Louis; 08-01-2013, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I believe Sears auto centers still stock a Michelin white wall for around $100 a tire.
                        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                        Past Panthers
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

If they make it, any tire shop can order in any tire you want. I don't think I've ever had the luxury of having any place having the tires I want on the rack, or even in the local warehouse.

Alex.

Comment

what he said
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                            X