Question About Big Brake Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question About Big Brake Swap

I think I got one question about this swap. Will the stock upper control arm shaft currently on my '86 CV fit a '00 TC upper control arm? Or am I looking for aero UCA's? I found a car that has been stripped down to the frame, so I am giving serious thought to harvesting the UCA's and spindles. Judging by the suspension sticky, it looks like the stock shaft is used. THought I would confirm anyways. Thanks guys

Packman

Everything in the from the 00 gets used, all parts of the upper arm. You just unbolt the UCA shaft from the frame and bolt in the "new" one.

Have you already replaced your lower control arm bushings? If the lowers are cheap I would grab them to so you can have all the "new" parts rebuilt and ready to go in when you do the swap. Heck you can even paint em up.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

only the LCAs can stay, but like he said... might as well grab those too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
        Everything in the from the 00 gets used, all parts of the upper arm. You just unbolt the UCA shaft from the frame and bolt in the "new" one.

Have you already replaced your lower control arm bushings? If the lowers are cheap I would grab them to so you can have all the "new" parts rebuilt and ready to go in when you do the swap. Heck you can even paint em up.
        THe irony is that I already did this last Fall when I rebuilt the front end. Everything is painted with poly bushings. Had I seen this car in the back of the yard mixed in with the boxes, I woulda just did the big brake swap from the get-go. Oh well, just have to do the same work twice. At first I thought I could get away with using the box LCA ball joints, but the '00 TC has a different size and must be swicthed out too. I will source the LCA's from another vehicle; as the JY vehicles are sitting in the mud. I may have found an AOD donor vehicle, so I may just grab the LCA's from that car.

Packman

Comment

If you have already done the LCA bushings you do not have to do them again, just change the ball joint like you said.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
            If you have already done the LCA bushings you do not have to do them again, just change the ball joint like you said.
            I am tempted to do that, but I don't want to change the balljoints on the same LCA twice. It may last just as long as a virgin LCA, but I would have piece of mind if it was the very first time. *Madonna reference intended*

Packman

Comment

Working...
            X