Motorcraft Police shocks on an '89 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcraft Police shocks on an '89 Town Car

Part # AS997G (rear) and AS995 (front). Will these fit in my car and are they any good? Rockauto has them at $8.55 a piece.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Fits fine. Don't know who made this particular shock but Ford used to use Tokicko, who make very good shocks. Even if they are made by someone else, you can't get anything for 9 bucks and I would wager they'd be better than the cheapest shocks you can buy elsewhere.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I just put some in my 91 Wagon. I'd rate them below KYB Gas-a-just, but above the shitty aftermarket replacement shocks that were in there.

Remember though, these shocks are from the early 90's and may or may not last very long. There's a reason they are so cheap.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Shocks just came in! I noticed that the front and rears came with only one bushing on top. Isn't there supposed to be another one that goes on the other side of the shock mount? I'm hoping that this is something that I can get without buying another set of shocks or re-using the old ones.

Comment

I think I reused the original police bushing set on my CVPIs b/c they were in super condition and fit better. Now if you have that big ole 1" sway bar under it you'd see a real difference in your "in town" handling. Love RockAuto, have a couple of open orders with them right now.

Comment

Yes, there is an upper busing and retainer for the top. Let me see if I have a set of Monroe bushing from all my shock changes.

Comment

L1011, I have a drawer full of new and used shock bushings for a CV Police Interceptor. The likely would fit your LC. I'm in Winston Salem (noticed you're in Charlotte). If you're up I40 anytime soon, I'll give you what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
                Shocks just came in! I noticed that the front and rears came with only one bushing on top. Isn't there supposed to be another one that goes on the other side of the shock mount? I'm hoping that this is something that I can get without buying another set of shocks or re-using the old ones.

No, on these shocks there is only one bushing. I was confused too. The instructions on how the bushing is used was on the brown paper bag the hardware was in. Seems like a silly design but it works.
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

What bushing is shown omitted? Can you post a picture of the brown paper hardware bag??

Comment

My shocks didn't come with any instructions/diagrams whatsoever.

Comment

*bump*

Anyone?

Comment

should be from the bottom up, washer, bushing, frame, bushing, washer, nut, possibly a skinnier nut. If these do something else, then NFC.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          should be from the bottom up, washer, bushing, frame, bushing, washer, nut, possibly a skinnier nut. If these do something else, then NFC.
                          That's what I was expecting, but these mount stupider. At least the one's I got did. There is just one bushing that gets mushed through everything. From the top it goes, nut, washer, bushing, wired spacer thing the bushing mushes through against the frame, washer, shock body. I guess for a $8 shock that's 20 years old I shouldn't be surprised. My hardware came in a paper brown bag with the instructions on it. It also had instructions for 60's Ford's too, so take it for what it's worth.

Comment

Here's what my shocks look like: It's just the bushing and the washer underneath. No wire spacers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130923_180331_480.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1273107

Comment

*bump*

Is there supposed to be some cone-shaped washer to go on top of the bushing, between the bushing and the lock nut on top?

Comment

Working...
                              X