Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

91 GM with snow tires or find a 4WD vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info, I figured I would be able to use ABS because I don't have it anyways. Also since I'm going back to Phoenix to pick up my snow tires, I thought it might be a good idea to get a quote from a shop down there. AZ differentials is supposed to be a good reputable shop.. my buddy got his Mustang done there. I called them and they quoted me $875 if I bring in the rear end (I can just drop it at a friends house) with a True Tack Eaten limited slip, Ford MS 3.73's, he said he uses Tempton bearings and this includes a sandblast/repaint of the rear end. He said he could do it in 1-2 days. It seems like a pretty deal to me, those Eatons go for $450-500 alone.

Also its supposed to start snowing again tomorrow ._. fml
    1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

powertrax

dont mean to hijack, but I sent an e-mail to the powertrax guys asking if the powertrax rear diff would fit a ford 8.5 rear end. the answer I got back was they(powertrax guys) had never even heard of a ford 8.5 rear end.

guess I own one of the oddballs.
      1981 ford ltd
      302 2bblvv
      aod

Comment

an 8.8 carrier and gears will fit in a 8.5, but I'm pretty sure that the 8.5 carrier won't jive with the aftermarket.

I have an 8.8 open with 2.73 gears laying in my garage that's not going to be used by me.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I've been reading lately that 28 splines are a lot weaker than 31... is it worth upgrading since I'm already doing this and what would be needed? I'm pretty sure I'd need new axles but would it be a good idea to replace them anyways? I will be well over 400hp in the future. What about something like this - http://www.americanmuscle.com/31spli...8693-5lug.html
          Last edited by Stealthlead; 10-16-2013, 10:52 PM.
          1991 Grand Marquis LS blog- Mayhem; two 12" Kenwood 800w subs, True dual catback, BBK shorties, cherrybombs, steel top, L/H hella lights, 18" AR Torq thrust, Trans cooler, class 3 hitch kit, more on the way...

Comment

The only thing for a Mustang 8.8 that will fit a panther is the carrier. Axle housing, axle length, suspension mounting points, ect... are all different.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Sigh, I keep going back and forth on shops.. I have one shop telling me the other is shit, and vice versa. One is charging a lot less than the other, but that specific one has some scary online reviews. And the local shop wants to charge me $1400. I am pleasantly reminded why I hate shops so much... I wonder if I bought the parts, got a rear end from a whale and just took my time & researched if I could just do this myself. Considering I'm planning on pulling 400hp+ in the future I think it might be worthwhile to do a 31 spline conversion now and spend the extra for an Eaton limited slip. Not sure, still trying to figure this out. I could really use some suggestions >.<

Comment

You would want an aero rear end, a whale rear end won't work, in 98 they went to a watts link and repositioned the control arms.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

opps meant aero* 91-97

Comment

Research if 31 spline axles are available from a reputable manufacturer for those years. Basically they need to be the same length as the 28 spline from 91-97. Then get prices for usa made axles and decide. After all new quality parts are nice in any case.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Other folks would have to weigh in on the necessity of an Eaton over a Ford unit with the upgraded clutches.
                      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Ok after reading it doesn't seem like upgrading to a 31 spline is really worth it. They are nearly impossible to find (on limo's, but I've never even seen a limo) and even still I'm reading about fitment issues in the casing. It seems like 28 splines can take a beating and I'm not planning on doing high rpm launches with sticky tires (atleast not soon). And yes I was just thinking about that Jaywish, I don't think going with an Eaton is the best choice in my application for the kind of performance I'm needing versus the cost. I can keep the cost a lot lower by going with a ford trak loc, same goes for reusing the axles. Most everything in a rear end rebuild seems manageable but I do not have access to a hydraulic press.

Comment

That is what machine shops are for.
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I'm just going to take it to a local diff shop, they can do it for $450 if I drop it & bring it to them.. I'm going to buy the parts including the ring and pinion, trak lok, and rebuild kit. Would a kit like this work out- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bc.../grand-marquis
                            I am also going to do the rear disc conversion while this is going on because I'll have to pull the rear axles for it anyways.

Comment

Are there any yards close to you? When I do this I plan on going to a yard and pulling the entire rear end and just putting the whole thing on my car. I've seen plenty of k code and other code 3.55L rear end panthers in my yards. And they only charge $75 for the whole setup.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

"k code" means posi 3:55 so the carrier can be refreshed and reused. You may be happy with 3.55 gears anyway.
                                02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                                X