Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Ring and Pinion Ratio with 28" tires......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Ring and Pinion Ratio with 28" tires......

....on a 20x10 wheel to be installed on a Ranger? Strongly considering rebuilding the lopo and topping it off with TFS heads and intake with a custom cam in front of a 5-speed; typical swap for a Ranger. Right now I have a 3.08/8.8 28-spline rear axle. With the 28" tire, what ratio can I get away with without tire spin? I am going to upgrade the suspension next summer. Then engine swap the following summer if the 4.0L lasts.

Oh and installing trac-lok too

Packman

without a TL you'll get wheel spin with 2.73. I can still chirp the tires with the TL and 3.55 with stock 27" tall tires in the 88 MGM so 28" tall tires won't be much of a change. And on a ranger, better load some sand in the bed to give it some weight if you want to keep traction. If you're going for haul ass, go 4.10s at least. If you're just going for capability and driving with a little butt dyno happy... 3.55s are fine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah, this Ranger is my DD. I was thinking 3.55 gears too. The A4LD, 3.08 ring and pinion (open diff), and the pinging 4.0L have me thinking seriously about this upgrade. I might see if the JY has another Ranger or Explorer to harvest the rear from. I may look for a '95-'02 (I think) rear and take that so I can get rear discs. Rebuild it with TL, 3.55s, do the 2/3 drop, and call it a day. First I will get Putter Project a new engine so I can still commute while doing this work.

Packman

Comment

Working...
      X