Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Shocks. Light coat of oil down the side. Concern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Shocks. Light coat of oil down the side. Concern?

I bought a set of 4 new motorcraft shocks off rock auto and noticed that one of them has a light coat of oil down the side. Is this something that should deter me from installing it or is it normal to see a little bit of oil on the shock?
    87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
    Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

not normal. seal has failed, ask about a replacement. Had it happen to me once on a pair of KYB's. RA sent me a replacement, no problem.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      not normal. seal has failed, ask about a replacement. Had it happen to me once on a pair of KYB's. RA sent me a replacement, no problem.
      87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
      Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

Just called Rock Auto. Told them I had a shock that was leaking oil. She was inclined to refund the price of shock and shipping and allow me to keep the shock, so I told her "well looky here, wouldn't you know it they're all leaking oil" hoping she'd refund me and allow me to keep all 4 shocks. Then she explained that because all 4 were defective I would need to send them all back. So, I declined and explained that I'd rather keep the 4 then send them back and forth. We went back and forth and around and around until she decided to credit me 2 shock refunds and allow me to keep them all. So I guess I made out. Hopefully there really isn't anything wrong with that 1 shock that's lightly coated. Oh well, I'm sure it' better than some 27 year old 140K lincoln town car shocks. Thanks Rock Auto.
        Originally posted by 87stars_stripes View Post
        I bought a set of 4 new motorcraft shocks off rock auto and noticed that one of them has a light coat of oil down the side. Is this something that should deter me from installing it or is it normal to see a little bit of oil on the shock?

Comment

I really hope you weren't just telling them that all four were leaking in order to scam them or something. If one is legitimately failed, fine, but its not cool if you were trying to cheat them on it. Also, in the intrests of fairness, I do have to point out that they are a site sponsor, but even without that its not something I can advocate doing for a whole bunch of reasons.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah. I guess I shouldn't be bragging or advertising it.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            I really hope you weren't just telling them that all four were leaking in order to scam them or something. If one is legitimately failed, fine, but its not cool if you were trying to cheat them on it. Also, in the intrests of fairness, I do have to point out that they are a site sponsor, but even without that its not something I can advocate doing for a whole bunch of reasons.

Comment

Yeah. I guess I shouldn't be bragging or advertising it.
              This.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Are we serious? I'm not a cheat or a scam artist. I can take my medicine from the respected members on here, but give me a little break here. We're talkin about attempting to take advantage of a $20 refund from Rock Auto. Not talking about burning fellow members. I'd give people on this site the shirt off my back.

Comment

Are we serious?
                  Yes

I'm not a cheat or a scam artist. I can take my medicine from the respected members on here, but give me a little break here. We're talkin about attempting to take advantage of a $20 refund from Rock Auto. Not talking about burning fellow members. I'd give people on this site the shirt off my back.
                  Taking advantage of makes you a scam artist, as that is exactly what you were attempting as per your own story.

Just don't air your dirty laundry regarding Rock Auto on this site please. They are sponsors here and help keep the place running. Cheating them out of money could ultimately hurt our existence.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

+1 uncool. actual leaks... ok. buy another one and be done with it. Trying to get money back on one that isn't leaking... that's scamming, no matter how small.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Okay guys. Won't happen again.

Comment

Working...
                      X