Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which clutch pack method shoudl I go with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which clutch pack method shoudl I go with?

What are they exactly and which one would be better?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

assuming for the rear diff?

pretty much install that with your friction modifier and have a nice day.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Are you talking about modifying from stock clutch material and clutch disk count? If you tighten up he clutches much from stock I would expect less slip on turns.

For a daily driver this may not be what you want. Tighter clutches in combination with rain or other slippery road surfaces will cause you to more easily break traction on turns.

If you are not worried about turns then less slip may be what you are after. Stock fresh clutches alone will tighten things up a good bit from a used but still functional pack.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

but traction recovers sooo much better with a TL when you do break free in a turn... and that's kit is essentially what's in my 93 from what I could tell when we put it in. I still need to add some friction modifier, but meh... grabs like a champ.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Basically I want to know the various stacking methods that are out there and what I may expect from them. Car is not a daily driver, just a nice weather cruiser...well nowadays a nice weather cruiser when I feel up to driving it. lol
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I have finished the second volume in a two volume series on "Swapping a 5.0L engine into a Fox body Ford". This is a short clip from the chassis setup chapte...

Comment

Someone told me the +1 mod was useless, but who knows. If your planning on serious power, go with carbon fiber clutches.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

which is the particular ford Racing set Sly recommended.
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                  which is the particular ford Racing set Sly recommended.
                  I probably should have clicked the links huh.

When I rebuilt the trak-loc in my old 91 I used the regular kit, stacked normally set a touch on the thick side, and it worked great, but that was behind a lopo.
                  2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

yeah.. I like the set I have in the vic... it's just chattery still. Need to put modifier in and haven't. It does chirp the tires in a corner if I put much of any throttle in. The normal rebuild kit would work better if you want to avoid the chirps.

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                      I probably should have clicked the links huh.
                      It would not necessarily have mattered as Summit forgot to mention they are the carbon fiber in their description. They just have the "C" suffix in the part # and include the upgraded spring in the kit.

I only knew that because I had originally planned on rebuilding the posi carrier in the wagon and was doing research before I found a NOS unit which cost about the same a a set of gears and clutches.

With the wagon being an all season daily driver I am glad I did not upgrade to a higher friction set of clutches.
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I've rebuilt them with both stacking patterns. Neither seemed to differ from the other, but I do build mine extremely tight. So maybe if a person built them a little looser you could tell a difference.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                        Big plans

Comment

yeah... that carbon clutch spring is a BASTARD! Took me AND RyanS beating on it to get it back in after inspection. ain't goin nowheres.

Comment

Easy installation of the Ford 8.8" traction-lok S-spring
                            This copyrighted video clip was taken from BadShoe Productions How to Repair the Ford 8.8" Rear End DVD. The scene is in the traction-lok repair chapter in w...

Comment

I used used clutches and added one to each side. Reconfigured the stack so that I could fit 4 clutches per side. I haven't had any issues with this setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X