Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

part numbers for ES bushings - 85 vic

Before I pull the trigger, I wanna confirm what is needed;

These for the fronts, with something wittled down with a lathe (I can't find what exactly it was that needed to be made smaller or by how much)

These for the rear

And I burn out the old shells, clean them out with a wire wheel or similar, and then put the new stuff in with bushing grease between the shells and new bushings?

Anything I'm missing? Anything I could wanna replace while I'm in there besides ball joints? Sway bar bushings and tie rods are new.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Also, does anyone know the size or even a source for replacements of the bolts involved? 30 year old Canadian cars= broken bolts.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

Click on my signature pic and scroll down to suspension etc...you will find the part numbers I used for my car. Nothing needed to be put on a lathe, though I do have front big brakes.....

I personally did the rears myself. Be careful burning the bushings out. They start to fizzle and pieces come worming out of them and eventually they POP out with force. I did use a wire wheel to clean out the insides to remove whatever rubber residue was left.

I used a good amount of grease on them.
      Last edited by 87gtVIC; 11-15-2013, 06:45 AM.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Good tip about the burning not being a matter of just watching it burn, thanks.

So from what I understand, I order the same stuff as a newer vic/big brake swapped box, just one or two pairs of bushings (lower front control arms?) don't fit and need to be milled down?

Comment

All I can say is that for the front a arms (which Ivan did for me) nothing needed to be milled down in my application.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

everything fit on the fronts when I did my stock 88. you may need new pinch nuts though (hardware store).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Anyone else give me any more info? I know I heard of boxes needing the bushings modified somewhere, and if I'm going to have that I don't want to find out with the car missing it's entire front suspension and taking up a lift at work.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                Anyone else give me any more info? I know I heard of boxes needing the bushings modified somewhere, and if I'm going to have that I don't want to find out with the car missing it's entire front suspension and taking up a lift at work.
                The only one I know of that need modding was 1987cp's one car, but I believe that is because he bought the wrong ones.

I can confirm nothing needs to be done for the lower front control arms, just burn them out and jam the new ones in.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                  The only one I know of that need modding was 1987cp's one car, but I believe that is because he bought the wrong ones.

I can confirm nothing needs to be done for the lower front control arms, just burn them out and jam the new ones in.

Ah ok, so I did read of someone modifying bushings to install them, but it was to make the wrong parts fit. Sweet.

So my only barrier is every bolt breaking because 30 year old Canadian car with original bushings.

Comment

Well just to let you know....no bolts broke on my car and my undercarriage aint the prettiest. My father did though change out all the front a arms and bushings in the late 90's.......
                    ~David~

Comment

Working...
                    X