Drum Brake Trouble shooting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drum Brake Trouble shooting.

I'm having trouble with my driver side rear drum brake. The pad assembly seems to be pressing towards the rear of the vehicle. They won't sit centered in the drum. The primary shoe sits too high. The major problem is that the wheel remains locked after the E-brake is released.

I applied an extreme amount of pressure to the brake a year ago. I was surprised how fast that huge car stopped. I replaced everything but the back plate at the time (drums shoes springs cylinder). I carefully looked over many diagrams and I don't think I put it back together wrong. It is confusing because most diagrams are for the passenger side. Is it possible that I warped/bent the backing plate?

This is regarding my 86 Mercury.

Current ride: 2004 "The Distant future" Grand Marquis

I would check the e-brake cable since you mention it stays locked after it's been applied and won't release. Does the pass. side release?

'93 T-bird
    '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
    '88 Mark VII
    '86 CV

Comment

Like he said, fix the e-brake issue, it can cause the shoes to get all out of sorts if applied with the drum off, especially if you play around with it trying to get it to sit correctly. If you still have an issue after that is taken care of...then something else is going on.
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

On my truck I had a broken brake spring that didn't allow the RR brake to return all the way. Looking at the brake assembly it looked like nothing was wrong. The spring didn't fully break until I got it out of the drum. I also use my e-brake everyday as the truck is a 5sp, so with constant use it may have weakened it. I replaced all the hardware on both sides.

If everything looks fine as far as the e-brakes go you might have a broken or weak spring somewhere in there.

'93 T-bird
        '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
        '88 Mark VII
        '86 CV

Comment

Also check that the shoes were installed/positioned correctly (primary vs secondary).

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post
            Also check that the shoes were installed/positioned correctly (primary vs secondary).
            very much this. Backwards shoes will fuck things up.

It would be worth pulling the brakes apart down to the backing plate an making sure you don't have wear grooves in there. Sometimes a burr will kick up on the back plate from shoe wear and it can jam up the shoe. Usually filing or grinding it down is enough to take care of the problem. Of course this all assumes the parking brake cable isn't jammed up. If thats seized, then of course its not going to release properly.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I don't know how much I can offer but just for clarification I would like to ask some questions.

Originally posted by Whosondephone View Post
              I applied an extreme amount of pressure to the brake a year ago. ... I replaced everything but the back plate at the time (drums shoes springs cylinder).
              So when you say you replaced everything at that time is it because you had damaged your brakes from the extreme amount of pressure that was applied? If so what was the damage like?

Is this a recent problem or something that has been happening since the work that was done a year ago?

If you haven't already I would just try to tear down and reassemble the springs and shoes. Maybe it's all assembled but something just isn't where it should be...? I dunno
              Last edited by BuffaloRider; 04-11-2014, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Thank you for all of your input.

The passenger side doesn't lock up. I can't say for sure if it engages or not. However the e-brake will stop the car.

If I remember correctly I replace the parts because I warped the drums. It also was due for a break job. I recall taring it down three times last year trying to get it right.

The springs currently look good, the paint hasn't peeled at all.

Hopefully I'll get a helper and investigate the E-brake this week. I'll take pictures. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Whosondephone View Post
                  Thank you for all of your input.

The passenger side doesn't lock up. I can't say for sure if it engages or not. However the e-brake will stop the car.

If I remember correctly I replace the parts because I warped the drums. It also was due for a break job. I recall taring it down three times last year trying to get it right.

The springs currently look good, the paint hasn't peeled at all.

Hopefully I'll get a helper and investigate the E-brake this week. I'll take pictures. Thanks again.
                  Just because they look good doesn't mean that they are. They're cheap enough to replace so you might as well do it since you're in there anyways. Reread my last post.

'93 T-bird
                  '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                  '88 Mark VII
                  '86 CV

Comment

Took a closer look today. I would say the E-Brake cable is sticking at the drum on the driver side. I hit the cable with PB blaster and taped back the parking brake lever as much as I could. The assembly seems to sit straight now.

I'm seeing issues with the parts on passenger side. looks hardly used. I'll take your advice purplebomb, while I'm at it I'll replace both drums because the driver side is quite worn out.

Comment

Glad you've got it figured out.

'93 T-bird
                      '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                      '88 Mark VII
                      '86 CV

Comment

might be worth replacing the cable if its sticky. Usually once they start to hang, they don't really get any better. You're already in there at this point.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just replaced everything except the back plate and cylinder. Still having the issue without using the e-brake. I noticed the back plate has a deep score on one of the flat arias where the pads rest against it. It looks about 3/32" deep. I think it is to deep to file down. If I can't find a replacement at a salvage yard. The only thing I can think to do is grind it down entirely and bolt in a piece of stainless steal scrap. Unfortunately I do not have a welder. Anyone know any tricks?

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4201270.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1274148
                          Last edited by Whosondephone; 04-22-2014, 09:21 AM. Reason: added aditional info

Comment

it should file or grind down. It just needs to be smooth enough that the shoe won't hang on it. If you have a plumbing torch, you could try filling it with brass rod, though the heat may not do your axle seals any favors. It also won't wear as well as steel will.

pull back the boots on the cylinder to check for wetness. If anything is visible, replace both cylinders. If both pistons don't move smoothly, replace both cylinders. Or, if they are of unknown age, its probably worth doing anyway. Last I priced a set they were like 12 bucks each or something.

Comment

I purchased some brazing rod. It said that it was designed to bond to steel. Some apparently do not. I had trouble getting it hot enough. What resulted was a cold-braze that I ended up grinding down. I was using TS4000. Perhaps I'll consider getting a TS8000 down the road.

I scrubbed out the master cylinder and replaced the black break fluid. I did also replace the cylinders and bled the lines.

After about a week I noticed the brass wore out. However the break pads were wearing evenly.
                              I'm still terrified to use the parking brake though.

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Working...
                              X