Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unknown piece found in transmission pan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown piece found in transmission pan.

About two years ago I got my 1989 grand marquis and I changed the oil and transmission fluid and when I dropped the transmission pan I found a weird object that no one seems to know what it is or where it goes. here's a few pictures of it. Also my transmission has been slipping a bit lately especially while going up hills and I looked into a TV bushing but mine still looks like it's in decent shape so I don't think that is the problem so I think I might change the fluid and filter and see how that goes. Another question is if it would be better to run it in over drive or just drive? What would be better for the transmission? I also have another problem with it turning off randomly on me while starting to go down hills but it fires right back up as soon as i park it on the side of the road. I'm thinking a sensor but I really don't know I'm a novice at these things. I really would appreciate any input or ideas on what to do.
    Attached Files

Dipstick hole plug, just gets shoved down at the factory.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Thanks a lot pantera, do you know anything about the other problems?

Comment

I am surprised the tranny fluid was never changed on a car this old.

Comment

It has as of right now 17,000 it ticked over for me once since I've had it so it is at least 117k.

Comment

When was the last time it had a tuneup and a fuel filter.

Replace the TV bushing anyway. When it breaks, the transmission will burn up. They're too cheap and easy to replace to risk the $1500 or so a rebuilt AOD will cost you.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Regarding drive/overdrive. I always drive in D and go to OD above 55 mph. Same thing slowing down once below 55 I shift into D. On hills I stay in D
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

Replace the TV bushing anyway. When it breaks, the transmission will burn up. They're too cheap and easy to replace to risk the $1500 or so a rebuilt AOD will cost you.
                I had a tune up complete with rotor cap and button about 2-3 months ago. I replaced the fuel pump and filter around a year and a half ago.

Comment

I put it into drive now and so far the transmission doesn't slip and it changes gears a lot smoother so, wow that helped out quite a bit. I was always told to run it in overdrive by some of my back yard mechanic family for better gas mileage and such but I think I'll run it in drive from now on unless I hit the high way and go above 55 like 87gtvic said.

Comment

What is a TV bushing?
                    Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                      What is a TV bushing?
                      It's the throttle valve bushing.

Comment

Can someone tell me why it's best to run in D as opposed to OD??
                        My '86 MGM Tudor has about 87K on her and the car has always been driven in OD as opposed to D.

What will be gained if I start to run in D?

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                          Can someone tell me why it's best to run in D as opposed to OD??
                          My '86 MGM Tudor has about 87K on her and the car has always been driven in OD as opposed to D.

What will be gained if I start to run in D?
                          You just lock out overdrive. If you live in a hilly area where it constantly shifts from 3rd to 4th, or drive under ~45mph or so and don't want it shifting into OD just use D instead. Other wise leave it in OD and forget about it.
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

ok, now this is nuts..........my car does not have a tv bushing........I looked at the rod and the only thing at the end of the rod is a ball that is pressed into some kind of small clip..........no bushing at all.....could this be on the 86 models?

Comment

Yep 86's are free of the bushings of death.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X