AOD Trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD Trans

Just checked and it has been about 20K miles since the fluid was changed.
    Should I change the fluid just because, or can I get additional mileage out of her? No issue(s) save for winter morning sickness.

As the trans is in my '86 MGM Tudor 5.0, what trans fluid should I get if the opinions here say I should change the fluid and filter.

Check the condition of the fluid. If there is no black or metal shavings in the fluid, you should be good to change it if you wish to do so. If the fluid looks and smells burnt, or has metal shavings in it, it probably is overdue. However, changing the fluid at that point could make problems worse than they already were. It's up to you to change it or not. 20k doesn't seem like too long to go between fluid changes.

Owner's manual in my car said Mercon V, so that's what I used when I changed the fluid. I bought the Mercon V from a local Ford dealer, since not many auto stores seem to carry it.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

typical interval is 30-60K miles depending on harshness of the driving environment.

+1 check the color of the fluid on the dipstick. Nice ruby red... leave it alone. brown to black... service it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Many thanks, this forum is more fun than a roll in the hay with Carmen Electra

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
          Many thanks, this forum is more fun than a roll in the hay with Carmen Electra
          Better get your priorities straight!! LOL

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Bob, look at it this way, after that roll, what's to look forward to?
            But with this forum, the hunger for more is ever present!

So I ask you, momentary nirvana, or continual enlightenment!

Comment

I'm guessing you aren't a Buddhist then. Nirvana is enlightenment in some circles.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I am an enlightened Hebrew

Comment

I change the trans fluid every 30,000. on all my cars. I always drop and clean the pan, new filter or clean screen. If possible drain converter.
                  I NEVER take it to one of those fluid exchange places that suck out the fluid.

Comment

Working...
                  X