Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

shocks: bilstein worth twice as much as kyb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shocks: bilstein worth twice as much as kyb?

OK so I've definitely determined I need new shocks.
    I last did my shocks just 30,000 miles ago! So I'm a little bummed. They were monroe sens-a-tracs and were in the same pricing tier, anyway, as kyb gas-a-justs. Soft so soon!

I'm concerned about getting $100 kyb gr2s or $140 gas-a-justs-- it seems that they will be the same quality tier? Will they also wear out in 30,000 miles?
    Alternatively I could spend $320 on bilsteins... will they last 2.25x as long? I'll be keeping this car for a handful of years yet.
    Finally I was reading that sachs are good shocks? They're at the $120/set price point, too-- same as kyb, same price as the monroes that failed so prematurely.

-Bernard
    Last edited by BerniniCaCO3; 06-01-2014, 01:20 AM.

in truth and on a few minutes' further thought, I really can't justify $320 on shocks.

But... I would like assurances, as much as you can provide them, that the gas adjusts might last a little longer than the 30,000 miles I got out of the monroe sensatracs.

Comment

depending on where you bought the monroes, they may have a lifetime warranty, it might be best to replace them for free..........

Comment

my GR2s are a few years old and holding up great aside from a bit of rust.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

i got them in baltimore 3 years ago... and it was either salvo or autozone. I'll be damned if i could find a receipt now.
          huh, seems neither autozone nor salvo even carries them. It wasn't off amazon... so I really don't know who I even bought them from. at that time I didn't know about rockauto yet... so perhaps advance.

How are monroe 'severe service gas magnum' shocks? Also a very similar price.

I may just try the gr2s. they're cheaper than the sensatracs, but if they last longer...
          Last edited by BerniniCaCO3; 06-01-2014, 02:44 AM.

Comment

I have "severe service police " units on both my town car and my tudor....they have been on the town car for 4 years, the tudor for about 2 years.....not a lot of miles on them, but lots of "crappy, pothole filled" miles, so far....so good. also had them on my 90 crown vic and my 91 crown vic and had good luck with them on those vehicles. if you bought the monroes thru O'reilly....they are lifetime, and if they took your info, they should be able to call it up in the database. (you will need to know what phone # you used)

Comment

Advance sells Monroe. I bought a set for my mom's Blazer.

The GR2's are softer than the Gas-A-Justs. They may not hold up as well, but I haven't really compared them. The GR2's on my Towncar have been on there for probably 9 years now without any complaints. Thats probably about 60k.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Check out RockAuto.. I've always bought the Motorcraft sever duty Police shocks for my car they hold up well to shitty Chicago streets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

KYBs are lifetime warranty, FYI.

Pete
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                  1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                  1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I bought Bilsteins and they gave the CV a nice firm ride.

Packman

Comment

I got the Bilsteins at AZ 3 years ago for the 91 GM. They were about $100.00 each. I invested $400.00 for all four shocks. I needed something dependable and long lasting in the city I drive in with so many pot holes and getting out of the way spontaneously when the crazies come into my lane unannounced. Bilsteins respond accurately and quickly. I swear when I hang into a curve I can actually feel the shock compress and push back. I am sold on the quality of the Bilsteins. I think the Bilsteins along with PI sway bars and ES bushings along with 245/60/15 T/A's on 8 inch rims make the GM handle better than a cop car and make me daydream I am in a F1 car. (LOL) Riding on rails is how it has been described to me. My 2 cents
                      90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
                      90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
                      91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
                      70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

+1 for Monroe Severe Duty shocks. Have them on Impala SS (1995) and my son's 1990 Grand Marquis. 550011 and 550010. Currently running Bilstein on the Roadmaster wagon front (with the air shocks in the back).
                        95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
                        96 Buick Roadmaster Limited Wagon, mostly stock
                        77 Ford F150, 400M auto, longbed
                        98 Suburban LS 5.7L Vortec, stock
                        90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

Working...
                        X